Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s job as manager is to make decisions and not all of them will be popular.
When the teamsheets are announced before games, there are usually one or two decisions which raise eyebrows. This goes back to previous managers too. It’s just the way it is.
Managers see things differently to fans, and to be fair they have a lot more information at their disposal when making decisions.
One unpopular choice was Solskjaer electing to stick with Victor Lindelof away at Brighton, after his calamitous performance at home to Crystal Palace.
Well there could be another controversial team selection this weekend.
Luke Shaw to start?
Luke Shaw was terrible for United in the 6-1 home defeat against Tottenham. He was one of the worst players on the pitch at Old Trafford.
It was pretty welcome then that Alex Telles was signed the next day, potentially to take Shaw’s place.
Ideally, Telles would go straight into the Manchester United team this weekend.
But it is probably worth preparing now to accept the possibility that he won’t.
This is because Telles has spent the last week on international duty with Brazil, earning his third cap on Tuesday in a 4-2 win over Peru.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has thrown players straight into the first team before, with Harry Maguire and Bruno Fernandes each having just one training session after signing before making starts.
This offers some encouragement that Telles may get the same treatment on Saturday night.
Shaw though has been at Carrington, training and working hard, having missed out on the England squad.
Solskjaer could choose to stick by Shaw and introduce Telles as a substitute against Newcastle.
Unlike Maguire, Telles is not used to the Premier League, and unlike Fernandes, he plays in a defensive role; so Solskjaer may be a little cautious over a player he has had little time to work with.
Even if Solskjaer wanted to start Telles, there are other factors like fitness to consider too. He has been travelling back and forth to South America, and unlike Shaw – played two games in the past week.
We would expect Telles would get the start away at PSG next week, but this weekend against Newcastle is more unclear.
Shaw said he will raise his game, telling the club website: “
There is competition for every single spot and you’ve got to be ready for it, work hard and give the manager a decision harder than what he’s had to make before.“
To be frank, Shaw can hardly go backwards from his Spurs display and the only way is up from here.
If he is chosen to start against Newcastle, it shouldn’t be a surprise. But we fully expect there will be a mini-meltdown on social media if his name does appear in the line-up.
- Some Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's performance
- Paul Pogba reacts to Manchester United's 1-0 win over West Ham
- Photo: Anthony Martial pictured embracing Ralf Rangnick after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's display v West Ham
- 'This is Manchester United'…Defender with 4 tackles and 2 key passes celebrates vital win
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after dramatic 1-0 win
- Gary Neville and Marcus Rashford react to Manchester United's late winner vs West Ham
- Rio Ferdinand's instant reaction as Manchester United beat West Ham 1-0
- 6 things we learned as Manchester United beat West Ham 1-0