Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has delivered an unhappy injury update over one of Manchester United’s most promising players.
He has told the club website that injured defender Axel Tuanzebe faces a spell on the sidelines until September.
He said of Tuanzebe and Phil Jones: “Phil and Axel will still be out for a little while. It’ll be a few weeks before Phil can start training and Axel, we won’t probably see until September.”
Solskjaer did not specify the nature of Tuanzebe’s injury, which was sustained ahead of the restart against Tottenham. He had been pictured in first team training prior to this.
This is a bitter blow for Tuanzebe, who entered this season with hopes of establishing himself as a first team regular.
The latest injury is Tuanzebe’s third injury lay-off this season. He has just two Premier League starts this campaign, and a further three substitute appearances.
He has made a further five starts in cup competitions, two in the Carabao Cup and three in the Europa League.
Phil Jones’ injury is less important as he is unlikely to play for the club again.
Young defender Teden Mengi, 18, has been training with the first team squad in recent weeks.
United also have the option to call up fellow youngster Dishon Bernard.
- What next for Dean Henderson at Manchester United as Blades eye alternatives?
- Smart loan move could see Manchester United’s Tahith Chong blossom in two positions
- Three United players who would be impacted by Sancho’s potential arrival
- 10 years after failed Manchester United move, Adem Ljajic is linked with another Premier League club
- Dan James could be a Manchester United fringe player next season and that is no bad thing
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v FC Copenhagen
- Who is reported Manchester United target Alex Meret?
- Reaction to report Tahith Chong loan could be two-years long
- Manchester United may have played a masterstroke over Chris Smalling