Manchester United are preparing to say goodbye to Angel Gomes today, with his contract expiring at midnight [Sky].
Yet as he waves goodbye to Old Trafford, another young player is preparing to sign for United.
Barcelona youngster Marc Jurado said his goodbyes on social media to the La Liga champions, with a post titled ‘Gracies Barca’.
Albert Roge, journalist for Spanish newspaper Sport, reported: “[The] right back will play next season at Manchester United.”
Sport‘s website reported in May that Jurado would leave Barcelona and sign a contract with United, where he will join the club’s academy team.
He is one for the future, yet as the reaction from Barcelona fans showed in response to Roge’s message, and on Jurado’s Instagram page, unhappiness over losing a young player is not confined to United fans. In this situation, the boot is on the other foot, with United making the signing.
- “The destruction of the academy continues. Elections now”
- “I hope he returns as Pique did”
- “I don’t think he’s a superstar but he may surprise me”
- “As always the @fcb losing the best pieces from the academy! What a directive … Terrible”
- “Noooo, what a shame !! One of the best players I’ve ever seen on a soccer field. I don’t know if you decided, but Barça should never let you go.”
- “Again man, this board ***** the life out of Barca fans”
There are no guarantees Jurado will ever make a first team appearance for United. Even the most highly rated youngsters battle a series of factors, especially when asked to switch countries and cultures at a young age.
Right-back is also a position where United are well stocked, even in the academy with Ethan Laird and Iestyn Hughes.
Jurado will arrive to compete and at just 16, he will begin with the under-18s with the understanding he will have to work hard simply to get into contention to be asked to train with the first team.
What is important about the move is what it represents. On a day United prepare to lose one bright prospect, another one is set to arrive.
The pull of United remains big. For some, they will not see the challenge through, and attempt to take shortcuts with moves elsewhere.
In a short career, there are no right or wrong answers. Gomes is backing his own talent to make a more immediate impact elsewhere.
Jurado is in a similar situation. He believes United can give him a future which Barcelona can’t.
It is a well timed reminder that players will come and go, yet United will remain one of the biggest clubs in the world.
- Why United’s Gomes response should be to target top quality young attacker
- Manchester United’s run-in is not as easy as it looks
- Solskjaer says Ethan Laird will join United’s first team squad
- Axel Tuanzebe out until September, says Solskjaer
- Suggestion that United could loan Eric Bailly out is just laughable
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mohammed Kudus?
- Manchester United could let Ighalo try to break 96-year club record
- Solskjaer’s careful and patient man-management of Paul Pogba is paying off
- Manchester United’s need for Grealish is diminishing but is it now or never?