Anthony Martial was missing from Manchester United’s squad to take on Brighton on Sunday evening.
Martial was dealing with an injury sustained on international duty for France against Kazakhstan last Sunday.
He was pictured on his wife’s Instagram account wearing a leg brace.
L’Equipe reported at the end of last week that Martial would be a fitness doubt for United’s Europa League first leg against Granada.
His leg brace makes his injury look a little more serious than that, and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s comments suggest he could be out for the season.
He told the club website: “Unfortunately he’s sprained his knee with France.
“Losing Anthony for what might be the rest of the season is very disappointing, especially when reports from there [France] was that it wasn’t anything serious but it looks a bad one.”
This leaves United reliant on Edinson Cavani, who has not had the best fitness record himself lately.
Martial will also have one eye on Euro 2021, after missing out on France’s World Cup 2018 squad, he will be desperate to go and won’t want to jeopardise his chances by returning too soon.
The Frenchman has had a tough season to date, netting only seven goals in all competitions, although he has contributed five assists.
Solskjaer’s comments paint a bleak picture for the rest of Martial’s season.
- Jadon Sancho pictured arriving at Old Trafford for Manchester United semi-final second leg
- How many transfer windows Phil Jones has now survived as a Manchester United player
- Rio Ferdinand responds to Paul Merson over Marcel Sabitzer criticism
- Can Marcel Sabitzer play in the Europa League? Eligibility and suspension explained
- Charlie Wellens set to leave Manchester United on free at end of the season
- Updated: All 18 Manchester United players out on loan deals in 2022/23
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Nottingham Forest
- Erik ten Hag finally brings an Austrian to Manchester United at the fourth attempt
- Hasan Salihamidzic explains why Bayern Munich allowed Marcel Sabitzer to join Manchester United on deadline day
- Manchester United transfer history from 2013 to present