Anthony Martial pictured wearing leg brace, could be out for the season
Anthony Martial was missing from Manchester United’s squad to take on Brighton on Sunday evening.
Martial was dealing with an injury sustained on international duty for France against Kazakhstan last Sunday.
He was pictured on his wife’s Instagram account wearing a leg brace.
L’Equipe reported at the end of last week that Martial would be a fitness doubt for United’s Europa League first leg against Granada.
His leg brace makes his injury look a little more serious than that, and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s comments suggest he could be out for the season.
He told the club website: “Unfortunately he’s sprained his knee with France.
“Losing Anthony for what might be the rest of the season is very disappointing, especially when reports from there [France] was that it wasn’t anything serious but it looks a bad one.”
This leaves United reliant on Edinson Cavani, who has not had the best fitness record himself lately.
Martial will also have one eye on Euro 2021, after missing out on France’s World Cup 2018 squad, he will be desperate to go and won’t want to jeopardise his chances by returning too soon.
The Frenchman has had a tough season to date, netting only seven goals in all competitions, although he has contributed five assists.
Solskjaer’s comments paint a bleak picture for the rest of Martial’s season.
- Report: Manchester United consider £50m move four years after £80m 'deal' fell through
- Chance to play with Cristiano Ronaldo had key influence in transfer decision, now tipped for United reunion
- 'Exceptional' South American may turn out to be Manchester United's perfect midfield signing
- 'He is a complete player' – Manchester United ready deal to sign star backed by 2006 World Cup winner
- Manchester United deal labelled 'incredible' by journalist for all the wrong reasons
- No price tag: Manchester United told to back off signing striker by club director
- 'Who knows': 29-year-old Manchester United ace hints at making permanent exit next summer
- Manchester United want to sign £16.8m Argentine midfielder from La Liga side
- Manchester United pushing for transfer 9 years after Red Devils scouting team first spotted him
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster