Manchester United’s young players are enjoying being part of a 27-man training camp. It is a rare opportunity for many of the young players to rub shoulders with some of the more seasoned stars.
Teenager Anthony Elanga has been speaking about how valuable this is for him.
Chatting to United Daily, Elanga picked out three Red Devils players he is trying to make sure he learns from.
Elanga said: “It’s been really good being around the lads and learning a lot fom the older ones. The likes of Nemanja (Matic) and Juan (Mata) and Jesse (Lingard) as well, you are learning a lot and taking in good information.
“I want to learn as much as I can and get an opportunity to show people what I am capable of.”
Elanga, 19, played 45 minutes in United’s opening pre-season game against Derby.
He started on the left side of attack and interchanged with Mason Greenwood and Tahith Chong, pressing well and causing Derby problems without getting a chance at goal. He will be looking to make a bigger impact in the game this Saturday against QPR.
On the cusp
Elanga is on the cusp of the first team after making two appearances at the end of last season, which also saw him score once.
The Sweden under-21 international is ready for a new challenge after top scoring for United’s under-23s last season and needs to play, whether that is at United or going out on loan.
Marcus Rashford potentially undergoing an operation on his injured shoulder could provide Elanga with a first team opening over the first few weeks of the season to stake a claim.
To get to that point Elanga has to impress in pre-season, and that does not just mean in friendly matches.
His work ethic and attitude behind the scenes will factor in a lot to the decisions the coaches make for the upcoming season. He has recently been given a new squad number, shifting from 56 to 36. It reflects his gradual progression towards the first XI.
Elanga’s words about looking to learn from the senior pros show he is focused on making the most of the camp. He is in with a shout and the next fortnight could shape his year ahead.
- 'Over the moon': Manchester United wonderkid gives verdict on own performance and club's Champions League chances
- Rangnick praises two Manchester United players including one who is a 'fantastic person'
- 'I lost the ball'… Manchester United star accepts responsibility for role in Young Boys goal
- 'You deserve'… Bruno Fernandes congratulates teammate on making Manchester United debut
- Hargreaves praises 'really sharp' Manchester United youngster who could start for Rangnick this weekend
- 4 Manchester United players who will regret disappointing performances v Young Boys
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters