Anthony Elanga was the star of Manchester United’s first three pre-season games, netting twice including a volley against Brentford at Old Trafford.
And then, nothing. Elanga was sidelined by a mystery injury the club did not disclose details of. He did land awkwardly on a previously injured collarbone in the game against Brentford, so it could have been connected to that.
Now after two weeks sidelined, Elanga is finally back in first team training.
He was pictured posing for the camera at Carrington in Wedneday’s session (18/8).
Great to see him back
We were just beginning to get concerned about Elanga. He missed the training camp in Scotland, the friendly against Everton, and then the opening game of the season versus Leeds.
He was not involved in the friendly match against Burnley on Tuesday either.
Now he is back training and ready to hopefully pick up where he left off.
Elanga was United’s most impressive player against Brentford and earned praise from manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Solskjaer told told the club website: “The boy is electric, has energy and enthusiasm, he’s really enjoying himself. He’s done himself the world of good.”
Elanga was ahead of Dan James at the time, but having missed out on two weeks, he has slipped back down the pecking order again, with the Welshman starting against Leeds.
Solskjaer will give him another chance, but whether he gets any game time before the international break is unclear.
Elanga will simply hope to make the squad this weekend to face Southampton, which won’t be easy, and then at Wolves where he scored last season.
The good news is he is back, and now Elanga can try and give Solskjaer a dilemma, especially while Marcus Rashford remains out injured.
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges
- Aston Villa fans laud Tuanzebe’s EFL Cup performance
- Solskjaer had ideal chance to unleash Hannibal Mejbri but opted for Mata instead
- Alex Telles shows attacking qualities but also his defensive deficiencies
- Solskjaer hails United fans after EFL Cup exit
- When will Donny van de Beek’s next opportunity come after cup KO?
- Anthony Martial wastes his Manchester United chance
- Jadon Sancho grows in confidence without a cutting edge in United defeat