Manchester United’s under-23 team have been stuck in a bad patch of form lately, with no wins in four.
Last night, up against a Chelsea side which beat the team 6-1 in December, the coaches called for reinforcements.
This meant a return to the under-23s for Amad Diallo, who needed game time, and probably won’t have much of a role to play against Leeds on Sunday.
The teenager helped make a difference, with United winning 4-2 against Chelsea to move up to sixth in the table.
United deserved the win
Chelsea actually started better and took an early lead when Brandon Williams scored an unfortunate own goal.
Chelsea then had their goalkeeper sent off for handling outside the area, and Shola Shoretire scored two goals before half-time, both from Charlie McCann assists.
Hannibal then missed a penalty in the second half, before Amad scored a free-kick, and Mark Helm added a fourth, before Chelsea scored a consolation.
A clearly proud Amad shared a video of the goal on his Instagram page.
Amad has stunning record
In the last four under-23 games United have failed to score in three of them and have just two goals during that spell.
In the three games Amad has played for the team, United have scored 14 times.
On an individual basis, Amad has scored four goals in three games, and he also has three assists.
He was dangerous against Chelsea with his intricate play creating space for others, and helped create the fourth goal, even though he did not make the final pass for the goal.
Amad also has a goal for the first team in 96 total minutes accrued, and he should get some more opportunities in the coming weeks.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was likely testing him, to see how he coped mentally with dropping back down to the under-23s after so long with the first team.
The youngster passed with flying colours. He was happy to be playing football, and his free-kick goal was truly outstanding.
It’s easy to see United have a special talent on the club’s books.
- Luke Shaw is the strongest player in the England squad, says Three Lions teammate
- Paul Pogba blames the heat for France’s disappointing Euro 2020 performance against Hungary
- Academy talent Johan Guadagno doing extra training in off-season
- Dan James helps Wales reach last 16 at Euro 2020
- PSG pushing to beat Manchester United in Varane race
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position
- Former Leeds fan favourite spotted wearing Manchester United shirt