Amad enjoyed Jesse Lingard's moment of skill in win over Aston Villa
It’s been a while since Jesse Lingard was able to give anybody reason to smile on the football pitch. Last night he made the most of a late opportunity.
Lingard came off the bench along with Anthony Elanga against Aston Villa and showed a little joy during his late cameo.
Receiving the ball in the corner as the game entered injury time, Lingard shielded and shimmied before turning away from two Aston Villa defenders and retained the ball, passing it on.
The United star was clearly happy with the moment, posting a short video clip to his Instagram page after the victory.
Lingard’s moment drew an excited response from teammate Amad, who was on the bench against Villa. The youngster dubbed him ‘Lingardinho’ in ode to Brazilian maestro Ronaldinho.
Playing his way into contention
Lingard wasted his chance to impress in the Champions League when he started under Ralf Rangnick against Young Boys and has paid the price ever since.
He has had to make to do with late substitute appearances or none at all, not helped by his uncertain contract situation.
While his long term future remains as unclear as ever, and he probably will leave, his brief appearance last night showed a player with the right attitude who wants to play and enjoy his football.
United could do with a few of those right now, with Marcus Rashford playing like he is not enjoying much at all.
With tricky games upcoming against Villa and then Lingard’s former side West Ham, it could be time for the midfielder to come back into focus for a second chance under Rangnick.
- What channel is Brentford v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo features as United officially release new 2022/23 third kit
- Forget Arnautovic, the most ludicrous Manchester United striker link yet has emerged
- Manchester United's possible midfield solution could finally make career-changing breakthrough this weekend
- Report: £63m Manchester United target's fiancee 'desperate' to stay put
- 'Could be good for United'… French expert says £19m star could thrive under Ten Hag