It’s been a while since Jesse Lingard was able to give anybody reason to smile on the football pitch. Last night he made the most of a late opportunity.
Lingard came off the bench along with Anthony Elanga against Aston Villa and showed a little joy during his late cameo.
Receiving the ball in the corner as the game entered injury time, Lingard shielded and shimmied before turning away from two Aston Villa defenders and retained the ball, passing it on.
The United star was clearly happy with the moment, posting a short video clip to his Instagram page after the victory.
Lingard’s moment drew an excited response from teammate Amad, who was on the bench against Villa. The youngster dubbed him ‘Lingardinho’ in ode to Brazilian maestro Ronaldinho.
Playing his way into contention
Lingard wasted his chance to impress in the Champions League when he started under Ralf Rangnick against Young Boys and has paid the price ever since.
MORE UNITED STORIES
He has had to make to do with late substitute appearances or none at all, not helped by his uncertain contract situation.
While his long term future remains as unclear as ever, and he probably will leave, his brief appearance last night showed a player with the right attitude who wants to play and enjoy his football.
United could do with a few of those right now, with Marcus Rashford playing like he is not enjoying much at all.
With tricky games upcoming against Villa and then Lingard’s former side West Ham, it could be time for the midfielder to come back into focus for a second chance under Rangnick.
- Ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s Manchester United display
- Erik ten Hag raves about new Man Utd signing after 1-0 win over Burnley, he went above and beyond
- Manchester United star produces a touch of absolute class and Rio Ferdinand was impressed
- Manchester United fans name man of the match v Burnley
- Manchester United fans are all saying the same thing as Hannibal shines v Burnley
- Rio Ferdinand names Man Utd star who impressed him, he responded ‘perfectly’
- Jonny Evans gives his instant reaction to first United start since his return to the club
- Gary Lineker’s instant reaction to Bruno Fernandes’ goal for Manchester United
- Five things learned as Manchester United beat Burnley 1-0
- Unhappy Man United fans all saying same thing over ‘done and dusted’ star after Burnley win
- Confirmed: Erik ten Hag names Manchester United XI vs Burnley