Marcus Rashford and his England teammates Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were not the only players to miss penalties at Euro 2020.
Kylian Mbappe missed the decisive spot kick for France and The Athletic claim he sent Rashford a private message after his England miss.
Alvaro Morata was Spain’s unfortunate player to miss a penalty in their shootout loss to Italy. He sent Rashford a message on Instagram giving him his support.
The Juventus owned forward labelled Rashford one of the world’s best and tipped him for future success.
Rashford and Morata were once opponents in the Premier League but very nearly became teammates.
Manchester United pursued the Spain international in 2017 before turning to Romelu Lukaku instead.
Rashford has a bright future
Rashford is still only 23 and has already played in three major tournaments for England.
The Manchester United star will get more opportunities and hopefully be entrusted to a more prominent starting role in the future.
The best way for Rashford to respond to this setback is to prove his doubters wrong by being successful.
He is due to have an operation, report The Telegraph, which will attempt to fix his ongoing shoulder problem. His foot injury will also be assessed.
This will give Rashford the physical and mental break he needs and United should get a better player upon his return.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice