Donny van de Beek’s move to Manchester United in early September opened up new midfield possibilities.
United are now spoiled for choice in central areas, with Van de Beek joining Paul Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Fred, Scott McTominay and Nemanja Matic in competing for three spots.
It becomes far easier for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to pick four from six, as opposed to three.
This is why a diamond midfield combination may become more viable for United this season, with Van de Beek complementing the team’s existing options.
The one drawback of using a diamond midfield, is that United do not have full-backs with enough attacking quality. Enter Alex Telles.
Telles is an ideal fit
Brazilian full-back Alex Telles has the attacking qualities to make it work.
Telles provided 12 assists in all competitions for Porto last season and had one this past weekend in a 3-1 win with an excellent cross from the left flank.
Telles’ attacking quality gives United an added dimension. While several of his goals for Porto have come via the penalty spot, he still has more open play goals (6) for his side than Luke Shaw does for United (2) in two fewer seasons.
Having a played who can operate up and down the flank so effectively compensates for the lack of width the diamond midfield requires.
On the right side, Aaron Wan-Bissaka is still a work in progress offensively, but his defensive qualities still make him a must-pick over his teammates.
Wan-Bissaka still managed more assists last season (4) than Luke Shaw and Brandon Williams did combined from the left hand side.
In a more regular 4-2-3-1, Telles will be a strong asset too, but he allows United to easier shift to a 4-4-2 and mix up her options.
United played this formation once last season away at Everton, and frequently switched to a 3-5-2 formation, which also would benefit Telles’ attacking qualities.
The club’s deservedly criticised negotiating team still have to pull this deal off.
But The Guardian‘s report Telles is keen on a move is encouraging, with just one year remaining on his Porto contract. It’s a transfer which would make a lot of sense.
Alex Telles: Buccaneering Brazilian
- Alex Telles is an attacking full-back with an impressive goal contribution.
In 95 games for Porto he has 30 assists and 20 goals. 14 of these strikes have been penalties.
- He has been an overlooked talent at international level
Telles has only one international cap, earned last year. As he has an Italian passport, he did not require a work permit.
- Telles has experience and he is a proven winner
For Porto, Telles has won two league titles and one Portuguese cup. He also won the Turkish Super Lig and two Turkish Cups playing for Galatasaray.
- Manchester United linked to five-times league winner with 50 international caps
- Casemiro sends message to Manchester United fans
- Italian press reaction to Rasmus Hojlund performance shows why Manchester United are interested
- Manchester United star showed at Wembley why £55m star is priority for Erik ten Hag
- Romano says Manchester United loanee has undergone medical ahead of summer switch elsewhere
- Manchester United’s £20m target warned Old Trafford move will come ‘too early’
- Manchester United to miss out as striker agrees bargain £25m transfer
- Manchester United ‘intensify’ talks with £35m ace after agent confirms interest
- £65m ace responds when asked if he’s joining Manchester United