Alex Telles happy to make full return to training after two months out
Alex Telles has expressed his happiness at returning to Manchester United training.
Telles suffered an ankle injury in training in July after featuring in the opening pre-season win over Derby County.
It has now been two months Telles has spent on the sidelines, and after returning to light training earlier in the month, he rejoined the main group on Thursday, the club confirmed.
Telles sent a message out expressing how excited he was to be back with his teammates and available for selection again.
Making up for lost time
Telles arrived late at United last season, joining on deadline day, and his arrival helped spark an upturn in Luke Shaw’s form which made his own battle for game time far tougher than anybody expected.
This pre-season was shaping up as a chance for Telles to stake his claim, with Shaw’s heroics at Euro 2020 leading to an extended summer break.
Instead an injury to Telles meant Shaw had to be rushed straight back into action and has not had a rest for club or country since the season restarted.
If Telles is ruled to be match-fit in time for next Wednesday’s Carabao Cup match at Old Trafford then that fixture appears to be a good situation to start him.
He will have to be patient because Luke Shaw has the first choice role sewn up and Telles’ job is currently to be the back-up.
But it is up to him now to remind everybody just how high-quality a player he is.
Telles is a dead ball expert and his crosses from open play could really be beneficial to new signing Cristiano Ronaldo. Edinson Cavani could be the one to profit if he also starts the game against West Ham next week.
As the season goes on, Telles will get his opportunities and it is important he is back to full fitness. He will be desperate to make up for lost time.
- Luka Modric reacts as Casemiro move to Manchester United confirmed
- Real Madrid confirm Casemiro sale to Manchester United in emotional statement, and announce tribute plan
- Raphael Varane reacts as Manchester United announce Casemiro deal
- 3 reasons £59.7m Manchester United target is better signing than Frenkie de Jong
- 36-year-old coach sits top of league table having left Manchester United last season
- XI players linked with Manchester United moves this week; featuring left-footed Premier League ace
- 'Really good player': Klopp praises star with no PL starts for Manchester United since May 2021
- 'Here we go': Manchester United have full agreement on Casemiro, says Romano
- 'Really wants the move': £67.6m Player wants to join Manchester United, not giving up, says Romano
- 'Back in training': Ten Hag confirms United attacker could face Liverpool, rules teammate out