Ole Gunnar Solskjaer only made two changes to his Manchester United side for the clash with Tottenham.
The major change was swapping to a 3-5-2 formation, with Scott McTominay as a sole holding player with Fred and Bruno Fernandes either side.
McTominay has not been at his best this season and has been exposed in recent weeks by United being far too open.
United were so much more compact in the 3-0 victory and McTominay shone in the centre of the park.
As per WhoScored, McTominay had a passing accuracy of 94.7 per cent on the day; higher than any player who started on either side.
No player on either side made more tackles than McTominay’s four, as United were more combative than they had been on many occasions this season.
The likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Edinson Cavani will grab the headlines, and rightly so.
But McTominay’s performance should not go underappreciated, at a time when Solskjaer needed it most.
McTominay’s display garnered plenty of praise from United fans on Twitter.
It was McTominay’s type of game; United needed to dig in and Solskjaer’s setup meant the Scotland international had plenty of teammates around him closing down the space.
Here is how his performance went down on social media…
- Rangnick should reward talented Manchester United youngster after eye-catching display
- Manchester United would be foolish not to pursue signing 'unplayable' £135m man on a free transfer
- 'Never give up': Manchester United players react as ex-teammate makes return after 321 days injured
- 4 Chances Created: Manchester United loan midfielder makes another case for recall
- 'Will be a club captain'… Some fans react to Manchester United loanee's 'outstanding' performance and interview