David de Gea was named man of the match by Gary Neville as Manchester United beat Norwich 1-0 at Carrow Road.
Ralf Rangnick collected a second straight Premier League clean sheet but this one was harder earned than the one at home to Crystal Palace.
De Gea saved United here and that is far from the first time that has happened this season, including a late close-range save from Ozan Kabak.
United were disappointing here, lacking cohesion on the ball and inviting Norwich forward more and more as the game wore on.
But de Gea kept his level high, coming up with saves when it mattered on a night where he clinched the 200th clean sheet of his career.
The clean sheet is the foundation for everything Rangnick is trying to do.
He identified an improved defensive record as a priority in the first press conference he conducted as United were conceding an average of two per game under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
United have now conceded one goal in three games under him and de Gea is yet to concede in the Rangnick era, although perhaps it was fortunate that this performance went in against the bottom side in the Premier League.
De Gea got some deserved praise on Twitter after yet another impressive performance to help earn a hugely important result.
He and goalscorer Cristiano Ronaldo have to be the leading contenders for United’s player of the season so far and they have both come up trumps regularly for United when it is most needed.
Here is how de Gea’s performance went down online…
- Club director claims move for wantaway Manchester United star is not “feasible”
- Newcastle targeting loan deal for Manchester United ace, prepared to cover 100% of wages
- What channel is Brentford v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and team news
- Manchester United will need to move the ball quickly to bypass Brentford's top-tackler
- Rangnick says £50m man is set to miss Manchester United's next two Premier League games