Predicted Manchester United line-up v Atalanta
Manchester United are in Italy preparing for tonight’s Champions League tie with Atalanta.
The Italian side ran United close last time out in a dramatic 3-2 win for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side.
This match is a pivotal one in the group, with Villarreal expected to beat Young Boys after they won 4-1 away in the last meeting.
A win in this match will take United to nine points with two games left, a commanding position to be in considering the team’s early stumble in Switzerland.
Key decisions for United
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has a fully fit squad to choose from, except for Victor Lindelof.
The Swede did not travel after picking up a knock in training on Monday.
How United choose to replace Lindelof will influence the rest of the team selection.
While possible Luke Shaw could play at centre-back and Alex Telles at wing-back, Eric Bailly is a better choice.
Bailly has the strength Lindelof lacks to help the defence stand up to physical striker Duvan Zapata.
This is all if United line up with a back three again. Solskjaer’s response to losing Lindelof may simply be to revert to a 4-2-3-1, which to be fair, created problems for Atalanta’s defence last time around.
In midfield expect to see Paul Pogba. This will be a case of squad management, with the Frenchman ineligible against City at the weekend due to suspension.
Fred is most likely to be saved for the weekend, with Pogba partnering McTominay in the centre.
Likewise, United have a decision to make up front with the weekend in mind.
Cristiano Ronaldo will start, but Edinson Cavani could be saved for the City game, with Marcus Rashford coming back in to start against Atalanta, after causing them all sorts of problems in the game at Old Trafford.
In: Rashford, Pogba, Bailly
Out: Cavani, Fred, Lindelof
- 'Gone'… No chance club can keep £40m Manchester United transfer target, says pundit
- 'Unmistakable threat'… Manchester United star praised as his country's 'standout player' at World Cup
- 'Speaks volumes': Bryan Robson praises Manchester United star for 'dominant' World Cup display
- 'Beautiful to see': Manchester United star delighted to see reported 23-year-old Ten Hag target score on World Cup debut
- Report: Bruno Fernandes and Lisandro Martinez helping youngster try and hit lift off on Manchester United career
- 'Spectacular' Manchester United target wows Red Devils star with influential World Cup display
- 'Keep with me forever': Marcus Rashford pays heartfelt tribute to Cristiano Ronaldo following Manchester United exit
- Manchester United have scouted £43m-valued 'fantastic' striker who Owen Hargreaves loves several times
- Gary Neville gives his verdict on how he thinks Erik ten Hag will replace Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United