It was a Manchester derby where neither United nor City appeared to particularly care about winning. A draw was good enough for both. Managers and players were equally content come full-time when a dull stalemate had been played out.
A few players stood out for Manchester United and here they are.
Luke Shaw and Victor Lindelof part of solid defensive block
Since conceding six goals at home to Tottenham (from eight shots) earlier in the season, United have conceded only once from seven shots on target in the last four league games at Old Trafford. It’s a stat that doesn’t mean everything but shows some decent defensive form.
Luke Shaw and Victor Lindelof – and also captain Maguire – were excellent against City. Apart from one moment where Maguire charged out and left space behind him, the trio did not put a foot wrong. Their teammates in attack were poor but the defenders did their job.
Admittedly, the attacking intent from both sides made the job of the defenders easier. Nevertheless these three players did well.
Shaw’s crossing in the first half, and the quality of it, is worth noting as well. It appears to have improved in the last few months.
Fred and Pogba offer different styles in midfield
Fred appeared to be set for another early exit from the Old Trafford pitch, this time with a first half injury. The Brazilian battled on though and put in a tenacious display in midfield. He offered little in attack but that is no different to usual. Fred kept possession well and did well to break up City’s play. It makes you wonder how much of an influence he could have had in Leipzig in midweek.
Pogba had a different type of game. His first half display was fantastic, filled with intensity, creativity and drive. The Frenchman quietened in the second half with only occasional bright sparks. Ultimately he didn’t offer United what they needed, a goal or a creation of a goal, but he did do alright.
- Charlie McNeill continues to make a name for himself with another winning goal
- Former United talent Largie Ramazani scores goal from his own half
- Paul Pogba and Edinson Cavani react to Manchester United win
- Dean Henderson has now kept five clean sheets in a row
- Fernandes sends message to Dalot after first league goal for Milan
- Mike Phelan reacts to United’s derby win
- United loanee Tahith Chong provides assist in Club Brugge win
- Harry Maguire raves about Luke Shaw’s performance
- Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial’s performance