Tahith Chong was one of nine Manchester United academy graduates to feature in the pre-season victory over Leeds.
The Dutchman was a half-time substitute in the 4-0 win.
Chong was picked to start on the left wing, and found it tricky to strike up a connection with Ashley Young, who was in at left-back.
He linked up well with fellow teenager Angel Gomes. Chong’s big moment was winning a penalty midway through the second half.
He cut the ball back and was scythed down by a Leeds defender who had already committed to a tackle.
Anthony Martial scored the penalty, following up goals from Mason Greenwood, Marcus Rashford and Phil Jones.
Chong, 19, is still a work in progress but this match showed more promising signs than his display against Perth on Saturday.
He can look a bit too hasty in possession sometimes and lightweight, but he has skill and ability to make things happen.
His quick feet and ability to turn both ways makes him difficult for opponents to read.
This was a step in the right direction, and he needs to keep making progress through pre-season to earn chances in the first team squad next season.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Chong’s performance…
- Manchester United may have played a masterstroke over Chris Smalling
- Martial and Rashford are teammates, not rivals
- Manchester United are on a collision course with Inter Milan
- Looking at the impact at United of the substitute rule changing again
- Alexis Sanchez’s six best moments at Manchester United