Manchester United fans react to reports Ed Woodward could stay on in consultancy role
Manchester United are not quite rid of Ed Woodward yet. The chief executive is due to step down at the end of December.
Now it appears United may not be quite rid of him after that date after all.
The Mail report Woodward is in talks to stay on at United in a consultancy role.
The role would see Woodward paid a high salary in exchange for his expertise as and when the club seek it.
‘Hi Ed, we need some advice’
It sounds laughable from a football perspective, given that Woodward’s eight-year spell has overseen the worst stretch in United’s history in the last 35 years.
The post-Sir Alex Ferguson years were always going to be challenging.
Unfortunately Woodward’s terrible decision making and painful early bravado has often contrived to make his spell even more disastrous.
Even now there are reports United are reluctant to sack Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, just because it would leave a negative impression of Woodward’s final few weeks in charge, The Mail reports.
Objectively, from a commercial perspective, Woodward may have some advice to offer.
If United want to know more about noodle sponsor tie-ups, he’s the man to go to.
From a football perspective, this is a real kick for fans who rejoiced at the news of Woodward stepping down earlier this year, and have had to wait months for his long goodbye. Which may not even be a full goodbye at all.
Keeping Woodward on the books is a sign the Glazers reward incompetence on the pitch. We should not be surprised, considering Woodward lasted this long and only left of his own volition.
Already mega-rich, Goal.com report Woodward has a net worth of £10 million, United seem prepared to continue adding to his bank balance even after his departure.
Needless to say, the report about Woodward potentially staying on in a consultant role, has not gone down well with supporters at all.
Here is a look at some of the online reaction, the comments that were fit to print…
- 'They need to play': Rangnick says two Manchester United players could leave on loan after ten Hag arrives
- Report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United teammate ruled out injured v Crystal Palace
- Report: Paul Pogba has decided his next club, final details being sorted on three-year contract
- 9 players who represented both Manchester United and Barcelona amid Dest links; including French World Cup winner
- Manchester United man whose contract expires this summer says he could stay to play under ten Hag
- De Gea and McTominay lead reaction as Manchester United goalkeeper celebrates reaching Wembley
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace