Calls for James Garner to get an first team opportunity are only going to get louder after his latest under-23 performance.
The 18-year-old midfielder scored the opener as United beat Norwich City 2-0 on Friday night. Largie Ramazani added a second from the penalty spot.
Garner’s goal was an expertly taken side footed finish from 18 yards out, continuing his excellent run of form.
In six games for the under-23s this season he has scored five goals and provided two assists. Just as notably, the team have a 100 per cent record in games he plays.
How close is he?
Garner was incredibly unlucky not to feature in the Carabao Cup in midweek against Rochdale.
Paul Pogba’s need for game time meant he was an unused substitute. In hindsight this was a failed gamble as the Frenchman picked up an injury which has made him questionable for Monday’s game with Arsenal.
Garner was also an unused sub against Astana in the Europa League. He is close, has been training with the first team, and could even be in the squad to face Arsenal even if he does not make the matchday 18.
He also impressed in pre-season and his form is making it tough for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to keep leaving him out.
Sooner or later, Garner will get his opportunity.
United fans are keen for Garner to get a chance and there was a positive reaction to his latest performance and goal…
- Manchester United linked to five-times league winner with 50 international caps
- Casemiro sends message to Manchester United fans
- Italian press reaction to Rasmus Hojlund performance shows why Manchester United are interested
- Manchester United star showed at Wembley why £55m star is priority for Erik ten Hag
- Romano says Manchester United loanee has undergone medical ahead of summer switch elsewhere