Double blow throws United's pre-Arsenal preparations off
Manchester United’s preparations to face Arsenal have been dealt a double blow.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told his press conference that Paul Pogba may not be fit, and Anthony Martial’s return is looking unlikely.
BBC’s Simon Stone reported that Pogba sustained an injury against Rochdale.
What does this mean for United?
First of all it should be noted that Pogba has not yet been ruled out. The Monday evening kick off is helpful, giving the Frenchman more time to recover.
The injury may also explain why Pogba was not one of United’s penalty takers in the shootout.
It does mean that United must prepare for both eventualities. Hopes of a midfield trio of Paul Pogba, Fred and Scott McTominay being selected this season together for the first time have taken a blow.
There will obviously be criticism of Solskjaer for risking Pogba against Rochdale in the first place.
Anthony Martial’s ongoing injury is a source of frustration.
The Evening Standard had reported just yesterday that Martial had been ‘expected’ to make his return.
If he does feature, it would most likely be from the bench, meaning Mason Greenwood will take centre stage.
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Manchester City: Ten Hag makes one change to side that beat Sheriff
- “Pure talent”: Manchester United ace reacts to Juan Mata making his Galatasaray debut
- 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid produces moment of brilliance and spearheads big win
- Video: Championship star practices Manchester United star Antony's trademark 360 spin skill
- Manchester United star and City ace discussed derby on flight back from international duty