All summer long the conversation among Manchester United fans has been about how to shape the midfield.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer trusted his favoured pairing of Scott McTominay and Fred against Leeds, and it paid off.
Fred even scored in the 5-1 win, benefitting from Paul Pogba’s creative generosity.
The Brazilian deserves some credit too. His run into the box allowed Pogba to pick him out and he shot the ball first time low into the net to put United’s win beyond doubt.
Fred was a ball of boundless energy throughout, winning possession back for United multiple times and helping the team to over run Leeds in midfield.
After leaving the Brazilian on the bench at the start of last season, Solskjaer learned his lesson.
Fred did not look like a player who had played at the Copa America all summer and returned to United to less than a fortnight’s training.
The midfielder made four ball recoveries, won two interceptions and two duels, helping United to run out as comfortable winners.
Matched for effort by teammate Scott McTominay, the pair showed why they are an underrated and over criticised midfield pairing.
This was a performance full of character from Fred, and with one goal to his name he has now equalled his Premier League tally from each of the last two seasons. Surely he will set a personal best this year?
Here is a look at how United fans responded to Fred’s performance…
- United need Maguire to produce captain’s performance against Liverpool
- Luke Shaw will have to be at his best to nullify Mohamed Salah threat
- Rashford will be looking to maintain his goalscoring return against Liverpool
- What channel is Man United v Liverpool on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Mike Phelan sends rallying cry to Manchester United fans
- Brandon Williams plays first game in four weeks and it ends badly
- Zach Giggs plays in Manchester United under-18 win
- Matic expects Elanga to make the grade at United
- David de Gea praised by Manchester United legend Alex Stepney
- Solskjaer gives injury update on Raphael Varane
- Dortmund reportedly tried to loan Henderson this summer
- Solskjaer hints he regrets not playing Fred in Europa League final