Well that was a good way to make an impression. Manchester United fans have waited a long time to see Facundo Pellistri in action for the first team.
While just a pre-season game, Pellistri ensured it was worth the wait.
The 19-year-old came on as one of nine half-time substitutes in the friendly at Derby County.
Pellistri doubled United’s lead by going round the goalkeeper to score after an excellent through ball rom Shola Shoretire.
The young winger looked dangerous whenever he got possession in or around Derby’s box.
Pellistri won free-kicks and beat opponents to show why he is a difficult player to deal with. He looked sharp and wanted to make the most of his 45 minutes.
It wasn’t all perfect. A sloppy pass just inside the Derby half set off a Rams counter-attack and nearly allowed Wayne Rooney’s side to score a second goal. He can learn from that.
The positives far outweighed the negatives and scoring will do Pellistri’s confidence the world of good.
Another loan may well beckon for Pellistri next season so he can play regularly. This goal serves to build up a bit of excitement around him and it could be from 2022 he is ready to push to compete for the first team.
United fans have not seen much of Pellistri up until now. He played seven under-23 games last season, scoring three times, befgore heading out on loan to Alaves.
It was important he grabbed this opportunity and we could see a little more of Pellistri as pre-season goes on.
Here is a look at how United supporters reacted to Pellistri’s performance…
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to fans after penalty miss
- Manchester United’s three best players against Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- De Gea and Mata send supportive messages to Bruno Fernandes
- United fans react to Dalot’s substitute appearance in Villa defeat
- Solskjaer comments on VAR, Shaw and Maguire after Villa loss
- Six things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to Aston Villa
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Solskjaer comments on Henderson’s display against West Ham
- Solskjaer backs Sancho to overcome slow start to his United career