Odion Ighalo’s brace and Luke Shaw’s attacking contribution will grab the headlines from Manchester United’s FA Cup win over Derby.
Another player caught the eye at the back, centre-half Eric Bailly.
This was only Bailly’s third start since returning from a long lay off with a knee injury, and United have three clean sheets in these matches.
A performance which had it all
Bailly is a player who often tends to pack two or three games worth of performances into one match. There’s so much going on.
Defensively he looks so solid. He’s aware of the players and space around him and looks comfortable alongside Victor Lindelöf. The Swede also played well.
Bailly blocked three shots, showing great awareness to help protect United’s clean sheet.
He had some fancy touches too, with a stepover on the touchline providing another viral moment to which he seems to add every game.
He picked up a booking in the second half, for clattering Derby’s Louie Sibley.
It was a strange case of mistiming, but Sibley had been clashing with Scott McTominay minutes beforehand, you wonder if it had been deliberate to stick up for his teammate.
Passed another test
Harry Maguire sat the game out with injury and still has to prove his fitness ahead of Sunday’s derby match.
If the worst case scenario happens and he is ruled out, then Bailly’s recent form suggests he is a very capable stand in.
Here is a look at how fans reacted to the Ivory Coast international’s performance…
- Largie Ramazani could outshine former Manchester United teammate Tahith Chong
- How United’s Champions League spot could be all but sealed in days
- McTominay needs to learn from Matic as long as he is at Manchester United
- Manchester United have never been stronger at right-back but Jurado’s reported arrival signals future focus
- Predicted Manchester United line up v Southampton