It was a tough ‘welcome to English football’ night for Edinson Cavani against Burnley.
But unfortunately for Burnley’s defenders, Cavani gives as good as he gets.
He is not the type of striker to shy away from rough treatment, and he led the line for United really well.
While he did not add to his goal tally, Cavani got into dangerous areas and on one occasion he was scythed down when through on goal.
Cavani was unlucky not to leave the game with an assist to his name. He played in Anthony Martial for a clear opportunity late in the game only for the Frenchman to scuff his shot.
This was one of two key passes Cavani made, the joint highest of United’s players in a tight contest.
He came close to breaking the deadlock before Paul Pogba’s winner, curling an effort just wide.
It is also important to note the contribution he made for United’s goal. He occupied Burnley’s defenders, preventing them from attacking the ball, and allowing Paul Pogba to come into the area unimpeded and volley in the winner.
A must start for Anfield
United have a history with Uruguayan strikers scoring winners at Anfield.
Cavani can create his own Diego Forlan-esque chant with a vital contribution on Sunday.
This is the type of game Cavani was made for. Anthony Martial limping off at the end enhanced the chances of the South American striker getting the start.
Cavani might not have scored in this game, but it felt like he was just getting warmed up in his first game of 2021.
Here is a look at how supporters reacted to his performance…
- 'Didn't put a foot wrong': Manager praises 'outstanding' Manchester United loanee
- 'We knew': West Ham defender gives his verdict on Manchester United after last-gasp defeat
- 'Treading carefully': Manchester United loanee won't return until next month
- 'It doesn't matter how or who': Manchester United star sends passionate message to fans
- Rio Ferdinand mocks his brother after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'He can go to the top': Manager tips 'unbelievable' Manchester United loanee to achieve big things
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Anthony Martial respond to teammate's 'Fergie time' message
- 'Amazing feeling'… Manchester United attacker says it was a dream to hear fans singing his name
- Manchester United star sets all-time Premier League record in Red Devils win
- Some Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's performance