When Anthony Martial signed for Manchester United we hoped he would develop into an elite striker.
This pre-season there are signs he could get a chance to lead the line again, and show what he is truly capable of.
Martial started up front for United against Tottenham in China and scored our first half goal.
The Frenchman hit the post early on after being put through by Dan James, who was a constant menace.
Then after impressive play from Andreas Pereira, Martial struck firmly and Spurs stopper Paulo Gazzaniga could not keep it out.
Martial looked hungry and kept Tottenham’s defence on their toes. This was his second goal of pre-season, his first from open play.
With Romelu Lukaku’s status at United uncertain, the striker role is up for grabs.
Martial, 23, might be our best option, ahead of Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood, especially if he can play like this.
It was an encouraging sign, and there could be a real selection dilemma on the opening day of the season.
Angel Gomes scored a superb second half goal to give United a 2-1 win.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted on Twitter to Martial’s performance…
- Manchester United could see reported target Nuno Mendes as a winger in the long term
- Ethan Galbraith must impress on loan to jump ahead of Levitt and Garner at Manchester United
- Teden Mengi deserves to replace Phil Jones in Manchester United squad
- Manchester United would be absolutely fine without Pogba
- Manchester United’s Dylan Levitt must channel his idol Scholes during likely loan spell