When Anthony Martial signed for Manchester United we hoped he would develop into an elite striker.
This pre-season there are signs he could get a chance to lead the line again, and show what he is truly capable of.
Martial started up front for United against Tottenham in China and scored our first half goal.
The Frenchman hit the post early on after being put through by Dan James, who was a constant menace.
Then after impressive play from Andreas Pereira, Martial struck firmly and Spurs stopper Paulo Gazzaniga could not keep it out.
Martial looked hungry and kept Tottenham’s defence on their toes. This was his second goal of pre-season, his first from open play.
With Romelu Lukaku’s status at United uncertain, the striker role is up for grabs.
Martial, 23, might be our best option, ahead of Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood, especially if he can play like this.
It was an encouraging sign, and there could be a real selection dilemma on the opening day of the season.
Angel Gomes scored a superb second half goal to give United a 2-1 win.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted on Twitter to Martial’s performance…
- Will Martin Dubravka be awarded a winner’s medal if Manchester United win the Carabao Cup?
- Marcel Sabitzer has scored more club career goals than Anthony Martial
- Report: Mason Greenwood considers China career move
- Jadon Sancho breaks three month social media silence with message to Manchester United fans
- Jadon Sancho has just solved a Manchester United squad dilemma