Four chances created: Luke Shaw impresses in United win
This was a very different Sunday to last week for Luke Shaw. A week ago he was a centre-back at Anfield.
Yesterday he played as a wing-back at Prenton Park as United demolished Tranmere 6-0.
Shaw did not manage to get on the scoresheet like three other of United’s defenders, Harry Maguire, Phil Jones and Diogo Dalot, but like Victor Lindelöf, he did contribute an assist.
He was unlucky that he did not have more assists other than the one goal he set Anthony Martial up for.
Shaw created four goalscoring chances in the win (via Whoscored.com).
This was more than any other United player, with Andreas Pereira and Jesse Lingard both managing three.
A day for unfancied players
This was a day for some of the more unfancied players in United’s team to discover their confidence.
When Phil Jones and Jesse Lingard are on the scoresheet, the opposition have to ask themselves some big questions.
Shaw is one of the players who has to prove himself, and he may be back on the bench against City in midweek.
One of the big question marks over his game in his lack of a cutting edge going forward. So this was a positive step from him, to end the match having created more chances than any United player.
His efforts were appreciated and perhaps this will lift his confidence and help United out against tougher opposition.
- What channel is Brentford v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury