Manchester United fans react to Brandon Williams' cameo performance
Too little, too late. Manchester United only picked up their performance in the latter stages with the game on the line.
United did not find the breakthrough we needed after Josh King’s opener, and fell to our second defeat in five matches away to Bournemouth.
A late double change to bring on Brandon Williams and Mason Greenwood nearly helped us claim a point.
Make no mistake, this 1-0 loss was a major disappointment.
We are trying to look at the only main positive to come out of it, and that was Brandon Williams’ efforts.
Even that is laced with frustration, out of annoyance that he was not selected to start the fixture after impressing against Chelsea in midweek.
Williams is a better attacker than Ashley Young and more unpredictable for defences. He can dribble inside, or go out wide, and showed both briefly as he pushed to create an opening.
During his 10 minutes on the pitch, Williams managed 14 touches and created one chance. Ashley Young only created one chance in 80 minutes.
He won one aerial duel – the same as Young, and his unpredictable play nearly gave United the equaliser we needed.
Young picked up a booking and is suspended at home to Brighton next week. Williams is a certainty to start, and United will be better off for it.
United should never have been in a position where we needed to chase the game so late on, but that’s where we are nowadays. Nearly every match is a slog, decided by the odd goal.
Here is a look at how fans reacted to Williams’ performance…
- 'Gone'… No chance club can keep £40m Manchester United transfer target, says pundit
- 'Unmistakable threat'… Manchester United star praised as his country's 'standout player' at World Cup
- 'Speaks volumes': Bryan Robson praises Manchester United star for 'dominant' World Cup display
- 'Beautiful to see': Manchester United star delighted to see reported 23-year-old Ten Hag target score on World Cup debut
- Report: Bruno Fernandes and Lisandro Martinez helping youngster try and hit lift off on Manchester United career