Manchester United youngster Will Fish made his home debut for loan side Stockport County at the weekend.
Fish featured in Stockport’s final pre-season match at Boundary Park against a Fleetwood Town XI.
The game ended a 3-3 draw, with a wild second half after the score was 0-0 at half-time.
Fish played all 90 minutes and while he won’t have been happy with the way his team conceded three goals, including a penalty he was unfortunate to concede, he was awarded man of the match.
Fish began pre-season with Manchester United and featured in the friendly win over Derby a month ago.
The teenager made his first team debut against Wolves at the end of last season as a substitute, after a testing campaign for the under-23s.
Fish, 18, has been pushed up through the age groups at United and the fact he has been sent out to experience men’s football at such a young age is indicative of the feeling that he is ready for a new challenge.
Speaking to the club media, Fish said: “I’m at that age now where men’s’ football is what I need, so when I heard Stockport were interested, as a local lad, it was a no brainer really.”
Asked about what type of player he is, Fish responded by saying he looks to emulate the Red Devils’ £80 million centre-back: “Currently at United, somebody like Harry Maguire, steps out with the ball, good at defending, can pick a pass. I like how he plays, he’s a leader as well.”
Stockport are in the Conference Premier and their league season kicks off against Dagenham and Redbridge next Saturday.
Fish will be hopeful he has done enough to earn a starting spot in the XI, and he hopes to play regularly over the upcoming campaign. His early man of the match award is an encouraging start.
- Manchester United youngster Will Fish impacted by manager change
- Cristiano Ronaldo expecting twins with girlfriend
- Conte may be a serial winner domestically but he hasn’t cracked Europe
- Manchester United loanee Dylan Levitt dominates in Dundee United draw
- Marcus Rashford sends message as he looks to fix Manchester United situation
- Three quick fix signings Manchester United could make in January to get back on track
- Manchester United youngster Sonny Aljofree celebrates meeting Cristiano Ronaldo
- Is a diamond formation the solution to Manchester United’s problems?
- Manchester United youngster Malachi Sharpe scores on Scotland under-17 debut
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message as he looks to bounce back with Manchester United
- Five substitutes rule change would benefit Manchester United whoever is in charge