Will Fish gets man of the match on loan at Stockport
Manchester United youngster Will Fish made his home debut for loan side Stockport County at the weekend.
Fish featured in Stockport’s final pre-season match at Boundary Park against a Fleetwood Town XI.
The game ended a 3-3 draw, with a wild second half after the score was 0-0 at half-time.
Fish played all 90 minutes and while he won’t have been happy with the way his team conceded three goals, including a penalty he was unfortunate to concede, he was awarded man of the match.
Fish began pre-season with Manchester United and featured in the friendly win over Derby a month ago.
The teenager made his first team debut against Wolves at the end of last season as a substitute, after a testing campaign for the under-23s.
Fish, 18, has been pushed up through the age groups at United and the fact he has been sent out to experience men’s football at such a young age is indicative of the feeling that he is ready for a new challenge.
Speaking to the club media, Fish said: “I’m at that age now where men’s’ football is what I need, so when I heard Stockport were interested, as a local lad, it was a no brainer really.”
Asked about what type of player he is, Fish responded by saying he looks to emulate the Red Devils’ £80 million centre-back: “Currently at United, somebody like Harry Maguire, steps out with the ball, good at defending, can pick a pass. I like how he plays, he’s a leader as well.”
Stockport are in the Conference Premier and their league season kicks off against Dagenham and Redbridge next Saturday.
Fish will be hopeful he has done enough to earn a starting spot in the XI, and he hopes to play regularly over the upcoming campaign. His early man of the match award is an encouraging start.
- Bayern Munich fear wanted star is heading to sign for Manchester United
- Photo: 17-year-old FA Youth Cup winner signs first Manchester United contract
- Paul Pogba would be Manchester United's big loser if transfer deal for Champions League winner is sealed
- Ajax star backs Erik ten Hag for trophies at Manchester United in emotional message
- Paul Pogba drops cryptic 'see you soon' message to Paulo Dybala, who is set to leave Juventus
- Antony suggests he will be available if Erik ten Hag wants him in emotional Ajax video message, Timber comments
- Manchester United send message to Britain's first openly gay footballer since Justin Fashanu
- Report: Manchester United could sign prolific striker for just £51 million
- 5 clubs £40m valued Manchester United man could move to this summer
- Ten Hag issues young player warning after handing debuts to 22nd and 23rd academy players at Ajax
- Erik ten Hag responds when asked about potential Manchester United double deal