Manchester United youngster D’Mani Mellor’s season has got off to the worst possible start.
Mellor, 19, has revealed via his Instagram page that he has torn his ACL.
Just a week earlier Mellor had been pictured training at Carrington.
Oddly he had returned on the same day the under-18sdid rather than the under-23 group, and a suspected injury may have been reason why he came back a week later.
Now he has had a scan on the injury and he faces months out on the sidelines, a week after returning to ‘his happy place’.
The timing of this is particularly cruel to Mellor, having just spent months on the sidelines with his teammates due to lockdown.
Mellor made his first team debut last season as a substitute in the Europa League, playing 25 minutes from the bench against Astana.
He began last season well for the under-23s, scoring four goals and providing six assists in 14 games.
This season could have provided a chance for him to test himself in the top flight of the under-23 league, or even go out on loan.
Both of these options are off the table now, with rehabilitation set to take several months.
Defender Luca Ercolani tore his ACL last August and went on to miss the season.
- Why Alex Telles is a better option for Manchester United than Sergio Reguilon
- Smalling stance means Manchester United cannot complain about Sancho price
- Odion Ighalo needs better service – but United also need a new striker
- Eric Bailly’s defensive record deserves more credit
- Mason Greenwood must follow Wayne Rooney’s improvement to reach the top
- Four Manchester United players have proved a point to Solskjaer
- Nicolas Tagliafico the latest left-back linked to United
- Luton defender shares what it’s like trying to stop Marcus Rashford
- Manchester United fans react to Eric Bailly’s performance