Manchester United youngster D’Mani Mellor’s season has got off to the worst possible start.
Mellor, 19, has revealed via his Instagram page that he has torn his ACL.
Just a week earlier Mellor had been pictured training at Carrington.
Oddly he had returned on the same day the under-18sdid rather than the under-23 group, and a suspected injury may have been reason why he came back a week later.
Now he has had a scan on the injury and he faces months out on the sidelines, a week after returning to ‘his happy place’.
The timing of this is particularly cruel to Mellor, having just spent months on the sidelines with his teammates due to lockdown.
Mellor made his first team debut last season as a substitute in the Europa League, playing 25 minutes from the bench against Astana.
He began last season well for the under-23s, scoring four goals and providing six assists in 14 games.
This season could have provided a chance for him to test himself in the top flight of the under-23 league, or even go out on loan.
Both of these options are off the table now, with rehabilitation set to take several months.
Defender Luca Ercolani tore his ACL last August and went on to miss the season.
- Luke Shaw is the strongest player in the England squad, says Three Lions teammate
- Paul Pogba blames the heat for France’s disappointing Euro 2020 performance against Hungary
- Academy talent Johan Guadagno doing extra training in off-season
- Dan James helps Wales reach last 16 at Euro 2020
- PSG pushing to beat Manchester United in Varane race
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position