Sunderland delighted to sign 'high potential' Jacob Carney after Manchester United release
Jacob Carney did not take long to find a new club after his release from Manchester United.
The young goalkeeper has been snapped up by Sunderland, who are now in League One.
United academy players Ethan Galbraith, Will Fish, Joe Hugill and Charlie McCann were all among those to wish him well on his move.
Carney, 20, is a player who Sunderland are excited to bring in.
Sunderland sporting director Kristjaan Speakman told the club website: “Jacob has high potential and he also has a lot of physical development ahead of him.
“He is a technically-gifted goalkeeper and we believe that with the right development programme across our football operation, including exposure to the first-team environment, he has the potential to have a really successful career at Sunderland AFC.”
The move came just too early for Carney to feature in Sunderland’s first pre-season game at the weekend.
He will have to compete to earn a first team spot and he may have to be patient at first.
Carney does already have first team experience, excelling in two loan spells for non-league clubs and then with Northern Irish top flight side Portadown most recently.
The youngster became the third player released by United at the end of June to find a new club already.
The players released by Manchester United on June 30 2021
- Sergio Romero
Signed with Venezia
- Joel Pereira
Signed with RKC Waalwijk
- Jacob Carney
Signed with Sunderland
- Iestyn Hughes
Signed with Leicester City
- Mark Helm
Signed with Burnley
- Arnau Puigmal
Signed with Almeria
- Aliou Traore
Signed with Parma
- Max Taylor
Signed with Rochdale
- 3 Juventus players Manchester United could target – including 20-year-old sensation
- 'Weak point'… Neville slams World Cup star, says Manchester United ace would do better job
- 'He's not a leader'… Manchester United star under-fire from pundit in his own country
- Casemiro responds to Neymar's claim he is the best midfielder in the world
- 20-year-old powerhouse recommended to Manchester United by Rangnick dominates v £97m opponent
- Manchester United star vows 'important game', potential first World Cup start incoming
- 'Bit awkward there': Gary Neville urges international boss to play Manchester United star in favoured position
- 'Absurd'… National team's physio praises Manchester United star's 'great work rate'
- Bryan Robson warns rest of Premier League that 'terrific' Manchester United star is only going to get better
- Report: Manchester United could sign £113m star for just £86m including add-ons