Sunderland delighted to sign 'high potential' Jacob Carney after Manchester United release
Jacob Carney did not take long to find a new club after his release from Manchester United.
The young goalkeeper has been snapped up by Sunderland, who are now in League One.
United academy players Ethan Galbraith, Will Fish, Joe Hugill and Charlie McCann were all among those to wish him well on his move.
Carney, 20, is a player who Sunderland are excited to bring in.
Sunderland sporting director Kristjaan Speakman told the club website: “Jacob has high potential and he also has a lot of physical development ahead of him.
“He is a technically-gifted goalkeeper and we believe that with the right development programme across our football operation, including exposure to the first-team environment, he has the potential to have a really successful career at Sunderland AFC.”
The move came just too early for Carney to feature in Sunderland’s first pre-season game at the weekend.
He will have to compete to earn a first team spot and he may have to be patient at first.
Carney does already have first team experience, excelling in two loan spells for non-league clubs and then with Northern Irish top flight side Portadown most recently.
The youngster became the third player released by United at the end of June to find a new club already.
The players released by Manchester United on June 30 2021
- Sergio Romero
Signed with Venezia
- Joel Pereira
Signed with RKC Waalwijk
- Jacob Carney
Signed with Sunderland
- Iestyn Hughes
Signed with Leicester City
- Mark Helm
Signed with Burnley
- Arnau Puigmal
Signed with Almeria
- Aliou Traore
Signed with Parma
- Max Taylor
Signed with Rochdale
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months
- Manchester United can take real positive signs from Ajax's two award winners
- Bayern Munich fear wanted star is heading to sign for Manchester United
- Photo: 17-year-old FA Youth Cup winner signs first Manchester United contract
- Paul Pogba would be Manchester United's big loser if transfer deal for Champions League winner is sealed
- Ajax star backs Erik ten Hag for trophies at Manchester United in emotional message
- Paul Pogba drops cryptic 'see you soon' message to Paulo Dybala, who is set to leave Juventus
- Antony suggests he will be available if Erik ten Hag wants him in emotional Ajax video message, Timber comments