Joe Hugill scored in his first appearance for Manchester United’s under-18 side at the weekend.
United’s under-18s played their first match in months in a friendly with Preston North End.
The young Red Devils won the match easily, emerging as 5-0 winners.
Recent signing Hugill, 16, who joined from Sunderland, got his United career off to the perfect start as he got on the scoresheet.
The star of the show was teammate Noam Emeran, 17, who scored two goals.
The young French winger barely got started last season due to injuries, and looks ready to try and make up for lost time.
Also on the scoresheet was midfielder Zidane Iqbal and centre-back Rhys Bennett, who headed in from a corner.
Great confidence booster
This was just a pre-season friendly, but it really could not have gone any better for United’s young players.
Iqbal in midfield is a player who United have high hopes for and he even made his under-23 debut last season.
Hugill also featured and scored for Sunderland’s under-23 side so he is a player with high potential at just 16.
It is early days, but the 2020/21 campaign is off to a promising start for the academy players.
- Eric Bailly could be out injured until next month
- Three Solskjaer decisions which won Manchester United game v PSG
- Manchester United fans react to Alex Telles’ performance
- Manchester United’s four best players against PSG
- Manchester United fans react to Axel Tuanzebe’s performance
- Solskjaer praises Axel Tuanzebe’s performance
- Paul Pogba and Alex Telles send messages after PSG win
- Marcus Rashford praises two United teammates after PSG victory
- Rio Ferdinand’s instant reaction to Manchester United beating PSG