Manchester United prospects celebrate FA Youth Cup win over Scunthorpe
Manchester United’s young players had a night to remember in the FA Youth Cup.
Playing in front of a crowd at Old Trafford is the dream for young players. United’s youngsters stepped up and entertained fans to record a 4-2 victory over Scunthorpe.
United were always heavy favourites to progress, and while the result was rarely in doubt, the entertaining way the young team won the game was a joy to watch.
Goals from Sam Mather and Alejandro Garnacho fired United into an early lead, with Maxi Oyedele and Charlie McNeill adding two in the second half.
McNeill also struck the woodwork and could easily have scored a hat-trick on another night.
It was clear from the players’ posts on social media after the game that they enjoyed the experience and have a taste for more big nights at Old Trafford in the future.
More to come from this talented group
United’s next match is against Reading, and it will be an away fixture to be held in January. That will be a very different experience, in front of an away crowd at the Madejski Stadium.
The young Red Devils will still be fancied strongly to go through, and potentially earn a home tie in the following round.
Charlie McNeill is leading the line regularly for the under-23s, and Alejandro Garnacho recently stepped up with a brace for the under-23s too. Having both players available for the under-18s highlight what a strong group of players United have.
Isak Hansen-Aaroen and Kobbie Mainoo both caught the eye, while goalkeeper Radek Vitek continued his strong UEFA Youth League form.
With both under-23 teams and under-18s going strong in the league, United also remain in three cup competitions for 2022, the FA Youth Cup, the UEFA Youth League, and the Premier League Cup. This group is more than good enough to win silverware in one of them.
- 'Gone'… No chance club can keep £40m Manchester United transfer target, says pundit
- 'Unmistakable threat'… Manchester United star praised as his country's 'standout player' at World Cup
- 'Speaks volumes': Bryan Robson praises Manchester United star for 'dominant' World Cup display
- 'Beautiful to see': Manchester United star delighted to see reported 23-year-old Ten Hag target score on World Cup debut
- Report: Bruno Fernandes and Lisandro Martinez helping youngster try and hit lift off on Manchester United career