D'Mani Mellor pictured kicking a ball as comeback nears
D’Mani Mellor is making positive steps as he plots his comeback after a serious injury.
The Manchester United youngster suffered an ACL tear last summer, just as pre-season began.
It came after four months out due to lockdown, and Mellor’s career has effectively been on hold for a year and a half.
The good news is Mellor is back kicking a ball again. He posted a video on his Instagram feed curling a shot into the top corner during a practice session with pals.
Tough challenge ahead
Mellor’s recovery is impressive, but he has a really tough challenge ahead of him to get his career back on track.
While he made his Manchester United debut against Astana in 2019, breaking into the first team is a seriously tough task.
Mellor’s contract situation at United is unclear and if he is retained then he will go into the under-23 team.
The under-23s have more strike competition than ever with 17-year-olds Charlie McNeill and Joe Hugill stepping up. Mellor, 20, will do well to hold them off.
Regardless of what happens at United for him, it is a positive to see Mellor has made a good recovery and is back playing football again.
D’Mani Mellor: What you need to know
- Mellor plays as a striker and was born in Manchester
He signed his professional contract in September 2018
- Hat-trick hero
Mellor’s best performance in the academy came as he bagged a hat-trick in the final game of the under-18 season against Everton in 2018/19.
- Strong under-23 record
Mellor has a tally of eight goals in 13 under-23 games this past season.
- First team breakthrough
Mellor made his debut away at Astana in the Europa League. He played the final 25 minutes of the match, replacing Tahith Chong
- Missed 2020/21 season
He suffered an ACL injury in summer 2020, ruling him out for the entire season.
- Loan at Salford
Mellor spent the first half of 2021/22 on loan at Salford, but only played twice before the deal was terminated.
- Report: Manchester United now set to loan out defender who said he was open to January move
- 'So good': Manchester United star can do 'mad' things with the ball, says international teammate
- 'Incredible' Manchester United star won't be fully appreciated until he's not there, says national team manager
- 'Played really, really well': Ronaldo pays tribute to Manchester United star's performance at the World Cup
- Manchester United already have the perfect partner for Jude Bellingham
- Photo: 17-year-old signs first professional Manchester United contract
- Former Arsenal man raves about 'very high-level' Manchester United star who will be 'very important' at World Cup
- 'Doesn't get enough credit': Pundit raves about underrated part of Manchester United star's game after World Cup win
- In-form Marcus Rashford embarrasses England defender in Three Lions' latest World Cup training session
- Bruno Fernandes provides two assists in Portugal win as Cristiano Ronaldo makes World Cup history