Manchester United youngster D’Mani Mellor says he is on the road to recovery.
Mellor suffered a ACL injury in August just after the under-23s finally returned to pre-season training.
It was a cruel blow, after already missing months of his development due to lockdown.
Mellor underwent his second operation on his knee over the weekend.
He posted an update on his Instagram page, with the message, ‘the hard work starts and the real road to recovery starts now’.
Mellor is now working up to try and get fit again for the start of next season. A late appearance in May could be possible, but United won’t rush him.
Luca Ercolani, Martin Svidersky and Tahith Chong are among the academy players to suffer ACL injuries in recent years.
D’Mani Mellor: What you need to know
- Mellor plays as a striker and was born in Manchester
He signed his professional contract in September 2018
- Hat-trick hero
Mellor’s best performance in the academy came as he bagged a hat-trick in the final game of the under-18 season against Everton in 2019.
- Strong under-23 record
Mellor has a tally of five goals and six assists in 17 under-23 games
- First team breakthrough
Mellor made his debut away at Astana in the Europa League. He played the final 25 minutes of the match, replacing Tahith Chong
- Missed 2020/21 season
He suffered an ACL injury in summer 2020, ruling him out for the season.
- Ralf Rangnick sends message to Manchester United's youngsters ahead of Young Boys clash
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Young Boys: Rangnick makes 11 changes
- Zidane Iqbal: The Manchester United teenager with an eye for a spectacular goal
- Has Cristiano Ronaldo ever scored in all six Champions League group games before?
- Charlie Savage: The Manchester United talent who wants to become his own man
- Wagner highlights challenges of facing Rangnick's Manchester United
- 'The future'… Several Manchester United fans excited for Rangnick to unleash 19-year-old whizkid tonight
- 'Baller': Angel Gomes raves about Manchester United star who impressed him so much in training
- What channel is Manchester United v Young Boys on tonight? KO time, live stream and team news