Manchester United youngster D’Mani Mellor says he is on the road to recovery.
Mellor suffered a ACL injury in August just after the under-23s finally returned to pre-season training.
It was a cruel blow, after already missing months of his development due to lockdown.
Mellor underwent his second operation on his knee over the weekend.
He posted an update on his Instagram page, with the message, ‘the hard work starts and the real road to recovery starts now’.
Mellor is now working up to try and get fit again for the start of next season. A late appearance in May could be possible, but United won’t rush him.
Luca Ercolani, Martin Svidersky and Tahith Chong are among the academy players to suffer ACL injuries in recent years.
D’Mani Mellor: What you need to know
- Mellor plays as a striker and was born in Manchester
He signed his professional contract in September 2018
- Hat-trick hero
Mellor’s best performance in the academy came as he bagged a hat-trick in the final game of the under-18 season against Everton in 2019.
- Strong under-23 record
Mellor has a tally of five goals and six assists in 17 under-23 games
- First team breakthrough
Mellor made his debut away at Astana in the Europa League. He played the final 25 minutes of the match, replacing Tahith Chong
- Missed 2020/21 season
He suffered an ACL injury in summer 2020, ruling him out for the season.
- Paul Pogba blames the heat for France’s disappointing Euro 2020 performance against Hungary
- Academy talent Johan Guadagno doing extra training in off-season
- Dan James helps Wales reach last 16 at Euro 2020
- PSG pushing to beat Manchester United in Varane race
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position
- Former Leeds fan favourite spotted wearing Manchester United shirt