Alejandro Garnacho celebrates scoring first under-23 goals
Alejandro Garnacho is celebrating scoring his first ever under-23 goals for Manchester United.
The tricky Spaniard netted United’s first and third goals in a 4-0 away win at Blackburn Rovers on Sunday.
Garnacho scored his first with a header from close range after just six minutes.
The winger netted another in the second half from the edge of the penalty box, shooting low into the bottom corner after running half the pitch with the ball.
Garnacho celebrated his goals with a post on social media marking his milestone, making the successful step up to the under-23s.
A good season so far for Garnacho
United signed Garnacho in 2020 from Atletico Madrid when he was just 16. Last season he struck seven goals for the under-18s, finishing as the team’s third highest scorer.
As one of the team’s younger players, he was kept on in the under-18s for the start of this season while the likes of Charlie McNeill and Charlie Savage stepped up to the under-23s.
Garnacho has begun to mix in, with the 23s, and was asked to step up with Anthony Elanga promoted to the first team by Ralf Rangnick.
The young forward has scored seven goals already this season now for the academy, with his previous five being netted for the under-18s and in the UEFA Youth League, an under-19s competition.
This was Garnacho’s fifth under-23 appearance in total, and the first time he has found the net. The goals will bring him plenty of confidence.
United’s other goals in the 4-0 win were scored by Shola Shoretire, netting his sixth of the season, and Charlie Wellens also on target.
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster
- Manchester United set to lose race to sign £55m wonderkid according to Romano
- 3 things we learned about Erik ten Hag from Manchester United’s opening game
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative
- £31m Manchester United star has big part to play despite Ten Hag opening day snub
- Manchester United target said Red Devils star on 'another planet' and was criticised by Neville
- Laporta tells two Barcelona players to leave and makes Frenkie de Jong statement amid Manchester United reports
- 19 passes completed in 79 minutes: Manchester United star is simply not good enough
- 5 reasons Manchester United lost 2-1 to Brighton on opening day of the season