Report claims United target Haaland's release clause could increase
Next summer, the race to sign Erling Haaland will be well and truly on and Manchester United will be one of the main contenders.
It has been known for a long time that Haaland has a release clause of 75 million euros (£63.8 million), which comes into effect next summer.
But a report by German outlet Sport have claimed that any potential suitor – including United – may need to pay more than that.
They claim that the release clause could go up to 90 million (£76.6 million), an increase of almost £13 million.
Still a bargain
Even at just under £77 million, Haaland would still represent a bargain for United.
Haaland is going to be one of the best strikers in world football for the next ten years. He’s already frightening.
Harry Kane is 28 and is being talked about as a £150 million, British record transfer.
Former United hitman Romelu Lukaku is the same age and just joined Chelsea for £97.5 million (Sky Sports).
Haaland is just 21 and it’s scary how good he could become. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer obviously knows him from their time together at Molde.
United’s hierarchy was able to do a deal smoothly with Borussia Dortmund over Jadon Sancho this summer.
Haaland clearly had a good relationship with the England international in Germany and a reunion at Old Trafford would be mouthwatering.
Edinson Cavani looks like he’s giving United one more season and then it’s time to go big on a long-term striker. The best option is Haaland.
Even another £13 million on the asking price doesn’t change that, although it remains to be seen if United can do business with Mino Raiola, Paul Pogba’s agent, again.
Jadon Sancho: Why Manchester United signed him
- Jadon Sancho had a prolific 2020/21 season
Sancho ended the season with 16 goals and 19 assists in all competitions, bouncing back from a slow start.
- Sancho can play on both wings
Sancho is predominantly a right winger but also started several games on the left for Dortmund last season. His arrival would give United extra versatility on both sides.
- Sancho became the youngest ever player in the Bundesliga to score 15 goals
He set this record in his first season, breaking a record which had stood since 1967. He now has 50 career goals for the club and more than 50 assists.
- Always looking to create chances
Sancho made more passes into the penalty area (82) than any other player in the Bundesliga in the 2020/21 season. He also dribbled into the final third the highest number of times (81).
- Gets better as games go on
14 of Sancho’s 17 Bundesliga goals in the 2019/20 season were scored in the second half of matches as he wore opponents down, along with 12 of his assists.
- Now he’s a winner
Sancho scored two goals and provided one assist to help Dortmund to a German Cup final win over RB Leipzig in May.
- 'They need to play': Rangnick says two Manchester United players could leave on loan after ten Hag arrives
- Report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United teammate ruled out injured v Crystal Palace
- Report: Paul Pogba has decided his next club, final details being sorted on three-year contract
- 9 players who represented both Manchester United and Barcelona amid Dest links; including French World Cup winner
- Manchester United man whose contract expires this summer says he could stay to play under ten Hag