Manchester United are being linked with a move for Benfica’s Gedson Fernandes, report Sky Sports.
Sky claim the midfielder’s representatives are in the UK to hold talks over a possible switch.
So who is the possible United signing? Here is a look at five facts about the player…
- Gedson is an attacking midfielder who can play both as a right winger or in a central role. He has made only two league starts for Benfica this season, after missing the start due to a metatarsal fracture, but he has recently fallen out of favour.
- He turns 21 on January 9 and so far has two senior caps for Portugal at international level. Gedson previously had five appearances for the under-21s.
- Gedson has 58 appearances for Benfica in his career so far, scoring three goals. He has seven assists in these games.
- His contract at Benfica has a staggering £102 million release clause, but Sky report his agents want to land him a loan move away with a £34 million option to buy. GFFN report Lyon are keen on a move.
- Gedson wears the unusual squad number ’83’ at Benfica. That would be a first if he did the same at Old Trafford.
This one feels as though there is more going on at Gedson’s end to try and force a move than United showing interest.
And when a player is permitted to leave in such circumstances, there is sometimes a red flag.
The worry about Gedson is his lack of regular football this season and experience, and whether he is ready for a move to Old Trafford at this stage in his career.
A try before you buy loan move might be a low risk option providing the £34 million fee is only an option rather than compulsory.
United need more depth out wide and Gedson is a very talented youngster who might be worth taking a gamble on.
But that is what it is at this stage, a gamble. It would be better to see United sign a more proven attacker to help out a young and inconsistent attack.
Having another player who blows hot and cold and is still a work in development might not be the answer.
- Sky Sports pundit praises Marcel Sabitzer to Manchester United move
- Manchester United in talks to send Williams and Tuanzebe on loan before transfer deadline
- Fresh Fred is perfectly positioned to help Sabitzer replace Eriksen
- Marcel Sabitzer has already spoken about how “special” it is to play at Old Trafford
- Manchester United contact Lyon over Houssem Aouar