Zidane Iqbal sends message to Manchester United fans after signing first pro contract
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has made developing young players a priority at Manchester United and yet another has signed a first professional contract.
Zidane Iqbal has put pen to paper on his maiden United deal today.
Iqbal sent a message out expressing his delight at signing pro terms.
Iqbal’s deal comes on the back of Teden Mengi, Hannibal Mejbri, Anthony Elanga, and Shola Shoretire signing long-term deals in 2021.
The Manchester Evening News report that United are planning to promote Iqbal from the Under-18 squad to the Under-23s before the end of the season.
He has actually been injured since December but that hasn’t dampened United’s desire to tie him down.
There is no indication of how long Iqbal’s first pro deal will run for.
But it will allow United to oversee the next stage of the midfielder’s development.
Solskjaer has shown there’s a pathway from the academy to the first team with his development of Mason Greenwood and more recently when handing Shoretire his debut.
Iqbal will hope that he can make the jump up in the future, but the next step will be shining in Under-23s football.
- 'Unmistakable threat'… Manchester United star praised as his country's 'standout player' at World Cup
- 'Speaks volumes': Bryan Robson praises Manchester United star for 'dominant' World Cup display
- 'Beautiful to see': Manchester United star delighted to see reported 23-year-old Ten Hag target score on World Cup debut
- Report: Bruno Fernandes and Lisandro Martinez helping youngster try and hit lift off on Manchester United career
- 'Spectacular' Manchester United target wows Red Devils star with influential World Cup display