Zidane Iqbal sends message to Manchester United fans after signing first pro contract
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has made developing young players a priority at Manchester United and yet another has signed a first professional contract.
Zidane Iqbal has put pen to paper on his maiden United deal today.
Iqbal sent a message out expressing his delight at signing pro terms.
Iqbal’s deal comes on the back of Teden Mengi, Hannibal Mejbri, Anthony Elanga, and Shola Shoretire signing long-term deals in 2021.
The Manchester Evening News report that United are planning to promote Iqbal from the Under-18 squad to the Under-23s before the end of the season.
He has actually been injured since December but that hasn’t dampened United’s desire to tie him down.
There is no indication of how long Iqbal’s first pro deal will run for.
But it will allow United to oversee the next stage of the midfielder’s development.
Solskjaer has shown there’s a pathway from the academy to the first team with his development of Mason Greenwood and more recently when handing Shoretire his debut.
Iqbal will hope that he can make the jump up in the future, but the next step will be shining in Under-23s football.
- Manchester United deal labelled 'incredible' by journalist for all the wrong reasons
- No price tag: Manchester United told to back off signing striker by club director
- 'Who knows': 29-year-old Manchester United ace hints at making permanent exit next summer
- Manchester United want to sign £16.8m Argentine midfielder from La Liga side
- Manchester United pushing for transfer 9 years after Red Devils scouting team first spotted him