Will Axel Tuanzebe get another chance to captain United tonight?
Manchester United have a fantastic opportunity to qualify for the semi-finals of the EFL Cup tonight.
But it is still likely that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will make changes to his side, meaning a lineup similar to the one which faced AZ Alkmaar last Thursday is to be expected.
That should mean Axel Tuanzebe gets another outing as he continues his recovery from injury.
Tuanzebe to be skipper again?
Solskjaer produced a surprise in an earlier round against Rochdale when he handed Tuanzebe the captain’s armband, despite Paul Pogba being in the lineup.
Harry Maguire has worn the armband in the last two matches, but Solskjaer should hand him a well-earned rest tonight, going into the festive period.
The Times reported recently that Tuanzebe is the only other realistic future captaincy contender to succeed Ashley Young.
If that’s true, then Solskjaer should hand him the armband against the League Two outfit and give him the chance to enhance his credentials.
Tuanzebe must improve on slack AZ display
Tuanzebe was poor last time he played, against AZ, and must improve tonight if he gets the start, especially as skipper.
He was out of sync with his fellow defenders, which threatened to allow Alkmaar to burst in behind at times.
Tuanzebe was also uncharacteristically jittery with the ball at his feet and that needs to change on a night where United are likely to dominate possession.
An aerial challenge is to be expected against the likes of Frank Nouble tonight and Tuanzebe must be up to the test.
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster
- Manchester United set to lose race to sign £55m wonderkid according to Romano
- 3 things we learned about Erik ten Hag from Manchester United’s opening game
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative
- £31m Manchester United star has big part to play despite Ten Hag opening day snub