Why Ralf Rangnick comments suggest he could be open to Julian Alvarez move
Manchester United boss Ralf Rangnick paid tribute to Edinson Cavani at his press conference and made clear he has no intention of letting the striker go.
These welcome comments were made in conjunction with another off-hand statement in which he suggested he would actually be open to having an additional striker like Cavani at the club.
Rangnick told the club website: “He is a highly important player for the rest of the season, [we’re] still playing in three competitions so we will definitely need Edi.
“I would rather have another Edi on top of that but for me it is clear Edi has to stay.”
It just so happens United have been linked with a striker
The timing of Rangnicks comments are intriguing because United have been linked with making a move for a striker in recent days.
Alvarez has a £17 million clause in his contract and as we pointed out, this could be a snip considering his potential and goal record in Argentina is superior to Lautaro Martiinez when he was sold to Inter Milan.
The potential need to sign Alvarez would principally be as a replacement for Edinson Cavani, whose contract expires in the summer.
But as Rangnick points out, he would quite happily have an extra forward now, and Alvarez and his ability to play across the front line and drop deep, makes him an excellent versatile option.
The 21-year-old scored 24 goals in all competitions for River Plate last season and has recently won his first international caps.
Rangnick has hinted at his desire, although he is prudent enough to be sensible and prioritise a defensive midfielder first.
If talks go well with Alvarez’s agent, however, this could yet be a deal United do this month.
- Spanish press explain how Barcelona reacted to Manchester United's Frenkie de Jong bid
- Manchester United eyeing major swoop which could change Premier League history
- £25m DM is Manchester United's top chance to sign Ten Hag favourite, ahead of £103m duo, says Dutch journalist
- Photo: Donny van de Beek 'likes' Frenkie de Jong's latest Instagram post
- Manchester United pushing to sign 27-year-old, recently axed by Ralf Rangnick
- Romano: Manchester United miss out on winger to Premier League side, 5-year deal to be announced
- South American attacker 'determined' to sign for Manchester United this summer
- Frenkie de Jong and 5 more agonising Manchester United transfer sagas, including £73m ace
- 7-time PL champion, 126-goal Celtic icon: 5 Manchester United legends with SPL links as club eye McCrorie