What is going on with Fred at Manchester United?
Brazilian midfielder Fred has been a glaring absence from Manchester United’s opening three games of the season.
It’s fair to say he has underwhelmed since joining United for £47 million a year ago.
You can put an indifferent first season down to adjustment, but when he is deemed not ready to make the matchday 18 the following year, then there are problems.
Dubious rumours have linked Fred with an exit before the European transfer deadline.
Italian newspaper La Nazione claim Fiorentina are considering a move.
We don’t believe Fred will be sold, but the way his season has started, an exit makes more sense than it did a few months ago.
You also can’t blame clubs for enquiring after Fred and trying their luck, considering his recent absence.
So what’s happening?
Fred had a frustrating pre-season, missing the first two matches and then failing to really grasp his chance.
United need added creativity in midfield. His seven assists for Shakhtar Donetsk in 2017/18 suggests he is capable of offering more.
For United last season he managed just one goal and one assist.
Just 11 days ago, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer talked Fred up, speaking in his press conference the weekend before the Wolves game.
Solskjaer said: “We believe Fred is going to have a big season as well.”, The Metro reported. Since then, Fred has not made either of United’s squads.
The Times last night dismissed suggestions he will be sold, and said he will get his chance if he continues to work hard in training.
With a need to change up United’s team, some sort of progress needs to be made, potentially starting with him making the bench against Southampton this coming weekend.
Its at the stage where we need to see something. If not, his situation will remain a cloud hanging over the team, with his transfer becoming a bigger error each and every week he sits in the stands.
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals