We could not be more delighted for Aaron Wan-Bissaka earning his first England call up.
Manchester United’s new right-back has been a class act since he arrived at the club in a £50 million transfer at the end of June.
So it was a shame to see Wan-Bissaka’s first Three Lions call criticised by Sky Sports pundit Matt Le Tissier.
Le Tissier vented on Twitter that Wan-Bissaka was only called up because he was at Manchester United.
It was a misguided and unfair criticism of the young player.
Wan-Bissaka was deserving of a call-up last season. He didn’t get one not just because he was not at United.
He was a key part of the under-21 side, and needed for England’s ill-fated European Championship campaign in the summer.
Had it not been for that, he would have got his first Three Lions nod last year, just like James Maddison, who finally got his call up yesterday too.
Le Tissier himself had a very frustrating time as a player at Southampton, when he was regularly, and unfairly, snubbed by England.
But its not really on to criticise the selection of Wan-Bissaka, who is 100 per cent worth his pick, and rightly displaced Kyle Walker.
United fans hit back at Le Tissier in the replies to his message.
- Hannibal Mejbri makes Manchester United under-18s debut
- Solskjaer improves in-game management with changes to take United into top four
- Manchester United’s two best players against Leicester City
- Two Manchester United players who struggled against Leicester City
- Manchester United fans react to Tahith Chong’s performance