We could not be more delighted for Aaron Wan-Bissaka earning his first England call up.
Manchester United’s new right-back has been a class act since he arrived at the club in a £50 million transfer at the end of June.
So it was a shame to see Wan-Bissaka’s first Three Lions call criticised by Sky Sports pundit Matt Le Tissier.
Le Tissier vented on Twitter that Wan-Bissaka was only called up because he was at Manchester United.
It was a misguided and unfair criticism of the young player.
Wan-Bissaka was deserving of a call-up last season. He didn’t get one not just because he was not at United.
He was a key part of the under-21 side, and needed for England’s ill-fated European Championship campaign in the summer.
Had it not been for that, he would have got his first Three Lions nod last year, just like James Maddison, who finally got his call up yesterday too.
Le Tissier himself had a very frustrating time as a player at Southampton, when he was regularly, and unfairly, snubbed by England.
But its not really on to criticise the selection of Wan-Bissaka, who is 100 per cent worth his pick, and rightly displaced Kyle Walker.
United fans hit back at Le Tissier in the replies to his message.
- Jadon Sancho pictured arriving at Old Trafford for Manchester United semi-final second leg
- How many transfer windows Phil Jones has now survived as a Manchester United player
- Rio Ferdinand responds to Paul Merson over Marcel Sabitzer criticism
- Can Marcel Sabitzer play in the Europa League? Eligibility and suspension explained
- Charlie Wellens set to leave Manchester United on free at end of the season