Villarreal star Manu Trigueros labels de Gea as 'one of the best in the world'
Villarreal star Manu Trigueros believes that Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea is ‘one of the best in the world’.
United’s number one denied his compatriot Trigueros on two occasions with the latter being a world class save, which showcased his lightening reflexes, after the ball travelled through Harry Maguire’s legs.
De Gea made the crucial save when the game was still 0-0 at the El Madrigal, but late goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Jadon Sancho gave caretaker boss Michael Carrick his first win, after replacing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
The crucial three points against the Yellow Submarine meant United qualified for the Champions League last-16 as winners as Group F.
Meanwhile, Unai Emery’s side will head to Bergamo on matchday six, in what will be a winner takes all clash against Atalanta.
Speaking to Marca after the game, Trigueros was left rueing his side’s mistakes which gave Ronaldo the chance to break the deadlock.
The 30-year-old felt the game played out similar to the clash at Old Trafford and admitted United punished his team’s errors.
Trigueros said: “The feeling is similar to Old Trafford. Their goalkeeper has been right again. They have great players and if you don’t put them [chances] in and give the ball away at the back, they condemn you.
“Cristiano out of nowhere generates a goal. We did a good job because we played well, but we lost again.”
The midfielder also paid tribute to de Gea’s crucial interventions which had a huge bearing on the result.
Villarreal’s number 14 added: “De Gea is one of the best in the world. You have to throw a lot at him to score a goal.”
- Who is the 26-year-old World Cup midfielder Manchester United reportedly want to sign?
- Manchester United wonderkid 'not in any rush' to return to Old Trafford, says manager
- £30m Ghana sensation credits Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag and explains Red Devils snub
- 3 Juventus players Manchester United could target – including 20-year-old sensation
- 'Weak point'… Neville slams World Cup star, says Manchester United ace would do better job