United's Scott McTominay posts classy message with Rochdale star Oliver Rathbone
Manchester United squeaked through in the EFL Cup last night after another lacklustre performance, this time against League One outfit Rochdale.
The 5-3 penalty shoot-out victory after a 1-1 draw set up a trip to Stamford Bridge in late October, and the match also saw a former Red return to Old Trafford.
Academy product Oliver Rathbone came back to face his former employers, putting in a strong midfield display in a battling team performance.
Another United academy graduate Scott McTominay, who didn’t play, took to Instagram to post a classy message alongside a picture of him with Rathbone following the match.
Rathbone’s was a name more avid Reds may well have heard plenty about as he came through the ranks at Old Trafford, but he was released in 2016 without playing a first-team match for the club.
Rochdale took a chance on him and he has established himself in the club’s midfield.
McTominay made the grade where Rathbone didn’t manage to and said of the Scotland international in the Guardian: “When I look at Scott McTominay now, still a friend and someone who has had loads of difficulties with injuries but kept coming back for more, I can only admire him for dealing with a massive amount of pressure.
“Maybe Scotty was surprised when he was given the chance, but I was not surprised he took it so well.”
It’s clear to see there’s still a huge amount of affection between the players.
Rathbone certainly did himself justice last night, before being replaced on 81 minutes, impressing up against Paul Pogba.
- What channel is Manchester City v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United's 5 best wins against Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium
- 4-3-3: Predicted Manchester United XI v City, Ten Hag picks attacker for first start this season
- 17-year-old Manchester United talent scores twice in thumping 6-1 Under-18s win
- Reports: Frenkie de Jong alternative Manchester United tried to sign before Casemiro is now available for £39m