United talent Aidan Barlow has to seize Tromso opportunity
United confirmed yesterday that Aidan Barlow has joined Norwegian side Tromso on loan.
With the season already underway, Barlow will have to hit the ground running, with the loan running up until December.
Barlow, 19, is one of Manchester United’s most promising talents, but needs something different to catch the eye. This could be it.
In 2017/18 he was among the best players for the under-18s. He netted 18 goals from 33 games and earned a new contract.
Last season the tricky midfielder scored three times in six UEFA Youth League games, but at under-23 level he did not have the same success.
He was used in a variety of roles, in central midfield and on the left wing.
His winning goal against Norwich last September was his only strike in 13 appearances.
This meant Barlow was not among the teenagers training with United’s first team or getting invited on the club’s pre-season tour.
This loan spell has the chance to accelerate Barlow’s development and bring him back to the forefront of the club’s plans.
Barlow turns 20 in early January and this is his first loan spell.
Potentially by then, he will have returned a better player, ready to kick on for the under-23s or take on a loan spell in English football.
Tromso are 13th of 16 teams in Norway’s top division and making an impact might not be easy for Barlow in a struggling side.
So if he can become a hero, his achievements will be even more impressive, and might just catch Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s eye.
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker
- 'He delivers'… Steve McClaren is a huge fan of 25-year-old Manchester United midfielder