Edinson Cavani made a deadline day switch to Manchester United and is gearing up towards making his debut.
After joining United’s training last Sunday for the first time, Cavani has been getting to know his teammates and trying to convince manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer that he is ready to feature for the first team.
United go up against Chelsea this weekend and with Anthony Martial suspended, there is hope that the Uruguayan will be able to play some part, either as a starter or from the bench.
If he does, he could make opposing manager Frank Lampard regret not moving in for him.
Lampard admitted his admiration for Cavani back in January and said he would be open to signing him.
He told The Guardian: “He’s a great player. I played against him and I always loved his mentality. Obviously his goalscoring record speaks for itself.
“The idea of bringing in experience is something I’m not absolutely looking away from. Sometimes the young players need a little bit of help.”
Chelsea did make a striker signing this summer, landing Timo Werner from RB Leipzig and he scored his first Premier League goal last weekend.
Long-term, Werner could be a shrewd signing for them, but Cavani has an almost incomparable record over the past decade.
Chelsea have struggled in defence this season, almost as much as we have.
Throwing in Cavani to shoot on sight against Kepa Arrizabalaga could have a dangerous impact, especially if he has Alex Telles’ crosses’ supplying him.
Chelsea will be well aware of the damage Cavani could cause, but stopping him is another matter entirely.
United are just three points behind Lampard’s side and have a game in hand, so getting a win at Old Trafford this weekend could be pivotal.
- How Manchester United’s spending compares as Manchester City buy £100m star to take Guardiola to £918m
- Manni Norkett: The next top Manchester United academy striker you need to know
- Getting Anthony Martial back to his best could transform Manchester United
- No Rashford and possibly no Sancho: Who starts for Manchester United on the wing against Leeds?
- Ethan Laird is wanted by Swansea and a loan move looks essential
- Looking back at United reportedly agreeing terms with Sancho a year ago
- Aurelien Tchouameni shows why Manchester United should be interested
- Kieran Trippier returns to training for Atletico Madrid
- Manchester United fans react to Lukaku to Chelsea reports