Luke Shaw was forced off injured in the first half of Manchester United’s 1-0 loss to Aston Villa.
He was replaced by Diogo Dalot, with more conventional left-back Alex Telles not on the bench.
Although the overall result was disappointing, some fans were pleased with what they saw from the Portugal international on the left of the United back four.
As per WhoScored, he made three headers – bettered by only Paul Pogba in a red shirt – and three clearances; only Harry Maguire made more.
Perhaps most tellingly, United got the ball to him more in under an hour on the field as they did to Cristiano Ronaldo in the whole game; 40 touches to 36.
Dalot also whipped in four crosses, but failed to create a chance on a frustrating afternoon for United.
He may well be set for another outing in midweek, with Aaron Wan-Bissaka suspended for the visit of Villarreal to Old Trafford.
There weren’t too many good things to say about United this afternoon but here’s how Dalot’s performance went down…
Dalot was one of our best players— Connor Ferguson (@ConnorF41160176) September 25, 2021
Rate that Dalot— lzmufc (@lzmufc) September 25, 2021
- Tielemans dominated United and showed Solskjaer what he needs and lacks
- Bruno Fernandes made most key passes in the Premier League at weekend
- Manchester United’s players ‘lack grit’ says BBC pundit
- Kobbie Mainoo scores incredible solo goal for England under-17s
- Josip Ilicic hits form at worst possible time for Manchester United