There are a number of players already linked with Manchester United moves this month. Moises Caicedo, and Max Aarons among them.
Perhaps the most eye-catching and viable potential signing is Leon Bailey.
The Mail report Bailey has even switched agents amid hopes of landing a move to the Premier League.
It was reported by The Mail last month that United sent scouts to watch Bailey in action. He seized the chance and scored twice.
Here is a look at three reasons why Bailey would be the ideal January signing…
Fills a need
The simplicity of the case for signing Leon Bailey is that he instantly makes Manchester United better.
United don’t currently have a winger of his quality available. There are prospects like Facundo Pellistri and Amad Diallo, and Dan James fits into this category too – not ready yet to be a regular.
Bailey’s arrival would ease pressure on Pellistri and Diallo, and also make life easier for right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka, by filling an attacking void on the right.
Bailey can play both flanks. This season he has played on the right for Leverkusen and it has become clear it is the role in which he is most effective. Still, his versatility to play both sides makes him even more useful.
United would be signing a player who makes the team better at a crucial point of the season.
He’s a value buy
Right wing is not the only position United need to strengthen. That is why it would be poor judgement to spend £100 million plus on Jadon Sancho.
Bailey was reported to be valued by Leverkusen at around £40 million, Sky Sports claimed earlier this season.
This would be a sensible amount to spend on a winger who is able to contribute right now.
It would leave money available to spend in other areas, namely central defence, defensive midfield, right-back, and even a striker, probably for in the summer.
All signings are gambles and Jadon Sancho’s poor form for Dortmund this season highlights how he would offer no guarantees at United. The club would be reducing the risk of failure by making a sensibly priced move for Bailey.
Adding a match winner
What do you want out of a mid-season signing? You want a player who can change games and score goals. Bailey is exactly this.
This season Bailey has scored nine goals already and provided six assists. His record stands at 15 goal contributions in 19 matches.
United need another player who can turn games. With the club in the midst of a title battle, one result can be the difference between success and failure.
The club need to do everything possible to maximise chances of success and build on this strong position. Adding a fast, tricky player with an eye for goal like Bailey would be a smart move and could instantly pay off.
- Scottish league champions set to sign Manchester United wonderkid on loan
- Two make debuts as Manchester United under-18s reach Premier League Cup quarter-finals
- 'Had conversations': £13m man admits to Manchester United talks
- 'Great player': Manchester United star urged to produce best form in World Cup qualifiers
- Bruno Fernandes training hard in Portugal during Manchester United time off
- Iraq international Zidane Iqbal says he is 'a proud Pakistani and Mancunian' too
- 4 matches which doomed Anthony Martial's Manchester United career, and a hated new teammate
- Manchester United get lifeline over incoming midfielder transfer deal before deadline
- Rangnick reportedly tells United star he can leave, club's 2019 demands go full circle
- 'Help him dream'… Manchester United have failed club legend over £35m star