Tahith Chong comments as he is ruled out for four months due to groin injury
Manchester United winger Tahith Chong has been ruled out of action for four months following a ‘freak’ groin injury he sustained in training at Birmingham City.
The 21-year-old picked up the injury in training on Friday and has had to have an operation which means he will be on the side-lines for 16 weeks.
The Dutchman returned to Manchester yesterday to have the operation (BBC Sport).
After making 13 starts for Birmingham, Chong was thriving playing under Lee Bowyer in the Championship and got three assists from those games.
Speaking via BBC Sport about Chong’s freak injury, Bowyer said: “I feel so sorry for Tahith Chong because his injury is so hard to explain. It’s crazy.
“There was no one near him when it happened. It was a five-yard pass from off the pitch playing it back on and he damaged his groin area.”
Tahith Chong hoping to return this season
The Blues boss has insisted that when Chong is fit enough to return the Championship side, he will want the Dutch under-21 international back at St Andrew’s to complete his season-long loan.
“It’s a massive loss,” added Bowyer. “But he’ll come back stronger from this. He should, unless he has any setback, make the last few games.
“We’ll not turn our backs on him and say that’s it. He’s been great for us. He’s played a big part. He’s played every minute, near enough.”
Chong has posted an update on Instagram this morning, following the confirmation of the length of time he will be out of action and has vowed to come back stronger.
A number of Chong’s Manchester United academy teammates have shown their support for their good friend.
With his contract due to expire at Manchester United in June (Transfermarkt), Chong will be focusing on his recovery and getting back on the pitch as soon as possible.
- 3 radical decisions Erik ten Hag should consider to get Manchester United back on track
- Manchester United look to accelerate 24-year-old's departure to reunite Ten Hag with 17-time international
- Manchester United wonderkid set to become 7th Reds youngster to join Championship side on loan in PL era
- Guillem Balague says Cristiano Ronaldo departure from Manchester United being worked on
- Manchester United prepared to wait until deadline day to sell 28-year-old on permanent deal