Ole Gunnar Solskjaer thinks that Luke Shaw is one of the best finishers at the club and wants him to score more goals.
Shaw said in a recent interview with Sky Sports that Solskjaer had told him he was the club’s best finisher.
That claim was put to Solskjaer in his own interview with Sky Sports.
He said that Mason Greenwood is better in front of goal than Shaw, but the England defender has great technique.
“Hands up, I’ve said that to Luke, yeah,” said Solskjaer when asked if there was any truth in Shaw’s claim.
“He’s behind Mason Greenwood and I think I said that as well. But Luke has got very good technique, very good finishing technique when he gets into that position.
“So I encourage him to get up there. That was my aim – to get Luke higher up the pitch, making the end product and he does have a great technique.”
Solskjaer also sent a message to Greenwood, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford on how to go from being scorers of great goals to being great goalscorers.
He underlined that it’s about scoring the easy goals and getting in the right positions.
He clearly wants Shaw to get into the positions to score too, just like he did against Manchester City earlier this month.
United don’t have a striker who is going to get 25 goals a season right now so it’s important that there’s a threat from various areas of the pitch.
Clearly Solskjaer wants Shaw to be part of that, even though it might surprise some United fans to hear him described as one of the club’s best finishers.
- Manni Norkett: The next top Manchester United academy striker you need to know
- Getting Anthony Martial back to his best could transform Manchester United
- No Rashford and possibly no Sancho: Who starts for Manchester United on the wing against Leeds?
- Ethan Laird is wanted by Swansea and a loan move looks essential
- Looking back at United reportedly agreeing terms with Sancho a year ago