Solskjaer talks up Edinson Cavani's fitness ahead of Istanbul clash
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says new signing Edinson Cavani is getting closer to peak fitness.
Cavani has made three appearances from United, all of them from the bench.
There is a chance he could make his first start in midweek against Istanbul Basaksehir.
Solskjaer says Cavani is building up his fitness and is on the right track.
The United boss told the club website: “Edinson’s generally a fit man anyway and he’s getting his sharpness in training and he’s got some substitute appearances now.
“We haven’t managed to get him long enough yet to make a big impact, but he’s looking sharper and sharper in training so it won’t be long.”
The Uruguayan is competing with Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood for a starting spot.
Alex Telles to miss out
Alex Telles is still undergoing tests after contracting Covid last month.
Solskjaer said: “Alex needs to be negative on his next test, so let’s hope we can get him back as soon as possible.”
Along with Jesse Lingard, who has returned to training, Telles is unlikely to fly out to Turkey with the squad. Eric Bailly and Phil Jones are also out injured.
Solskjaer added that he is pleased to get Anthony Martial this weekend after a suspension.
He said: “I thought towards the end of the Leipzig game, you could see his sharpness getting there and he was really positive and bright, which is good.”
- Manchester United deal labelled 'incredible' by journalist for all the wrong reasons
- No price tag: Manchester United told to back off signing striker by club director
- 'Who knows': 29-year-old Manchester United ace hints at making permanent exit next summer
- Manchester United want to sign £16.8m Argentine midfielder from La Liga side
- Manchester United pushing for transfer 9 years after Red Devils scouting team first spotted him
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster
- Manchester United set to lose race to sign £55m wonderkid according to Romano
- 3 things we learned about Erik ten Hag from Manchester United’s opening game
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative